Advice on sliding a full tank

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Do you guys have any advice on moving a full tank? I'd like to install a HOB refugium on the tank but can't due to it's proximity to the back wall. I figure it has to weight about 500 lbs. It's on tile if that matters. The stand is one of those particle board setups, with some metal supports.

Half tempted to try to just manhandle it with my hulk-like muscles, however, having not been exposed to any abnormal forms of radiation, moving such a large amount of weight seems like quite a challenge.

You can do 1 of two things. 1.Reposition the corals to the bottom of the tank, 2.Place corals into the same container that ur emptying the water to. It might be a gud idea to have the other container partially filled with some new salt water (if u have some mixed already) that way ur corals aren't out of water for too long. I've seen SPS stay out of water for 12 mins. (for fragging) & LPS for 3-5 mins. Not to sure about Zoos & Softies

What kind of corals are we talking about? A lot of corals in the wild get exposed to air and sun for hours at a time at low tide and do just fine. There are some "touchy" species but 95% of them are hardier than you think. They may show signs of stress but come back to normal in no time.

Depending on the LPS coral, i think i would move it down so that its tentacles arent crushed by their own weight when out of water for an extended period of time

I'd suggest taking out 25% of the water and then sliding it from the bottom of the stand. I've done this before with no problem.

when I was redoing the walls around the 45 gallon I needed to move it a couple feet and two of us slid it on tile no problem...

Do you guys have any advice on moving a full tank? I'd like to install a HOB refugium on the tank but can't due to it's proximity to the back wall. I figure it has to weight about 500 lbs. It's on tile if that matters. The stand is one of those particle board setups, with some metal supports.

Half tempted to try to just manhandle it with my hulk-like muscles, however, having not been exposed to any abnormal forms of radiation, moving such a large amount of weight seems like quite a challenge.

To bad you don't have allot of time because it's on a tile floor some type of caster could be installed 4 corners and 2 in the center then design a skirt that would cover the wheels...could be pretty cool.

They make a furniture coaster called "moving men". If you drain out just a few inches and either lift, or jack, up just enough to slide one of these under each leg you will be able to move your tank on tile with ease in the future...could be helpful if you ever want to get at back of the tank for whatever reason. Cool Tools: Furniture Sliders

It worked like a charm. I drained out about 10g worth of water and moved the tank. It was scary as hell to see it shake a little. But it slid out easy enough.

I had one candycane that was glued on the rock out of water and it's not looking too hot. I don't know what to do about that, but hopefully it'll come back. He was out of the water maybe 15m.

I went ahead and added my skimmer. Going to flip it on today. Not 100% sure why I'm doing it, just something to screw with. My nitrates are always at 0, but maybe I can get a little more relaxed with tank maintenance now.

Thank you all for the advice.

man power... i slide my 75g all the time (full) on carpet. this thing has 125+ pounds of liverock, and with the water, sand, rock, and equipment... it easily weighs 950lbs...
just sit your rump on the floor, pull with your arms at the base of the stand and push against the walls with your legs. it'll move, just keep in mind you only want to move maybe an inch or 2 per pull so you dont disturb the water enough to stir debris, tumble rocks, or even worse... flipping the tank. if you dont feel comfortable enough to do so, drain it about 3/4 full.

Back