Advice on stacking rock on the glass

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I know that this is not a good idea. But I wanted to know if anyone has gotten a sheet of lexan or plexis glass and used it sandwhiced between the rock and the glass to see if that'd help things.

As long as the rock is stacked well and secured I would think all would be well, but there's gotta be a reason no one else does it this way, hopefully someone can help me out.

The one thing I foresee is that you might get detritus stuck in between the sheet and the tank wall, and causing nitrate problems.

Why do you want to put that barrier? Is it because you don't want coralline to grow on the glass? Cuz it will grow on the sheet anyway.

As long you have enough flow behind the rock,its not going to hurt anything being against the glass.
Unless you have a wide tank,its hard for the rock not to be against the glass.

Are you talking up against the back glass or on the bottom glass?
Either way, i've never had a problem with either.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is the back glass. Its a tall tank and I think it'd look great to have the rock stacked up, kinda cascading along the back and side walls.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is the back glass. Its a tall tank and I think it'd look great to have the rock stacked up, kinda cascading along the back and side walls.

I would just stack it up the back glass. I'm not sure why you don't want to do that?

Make sure rock is firmly on the bottom glass because some have put it on the sand and then as the aragonite sand dissolved (yes it dissolves) and as critters burrow a rock slide occurred causing a glass-breaking, living room Tsunami. No BS this actually happened to people.

I've seen people use egg crate on the back. it let's the water flow through and gives the support you're looking for. if done properly you can't see it, but from what I hear it's alot of work.

I've seen people use egg crate on the back. it let's the water flow through and gives the support you're looking for. if done properly you can't see it, but from what I hear it's alot of work.
You can also find black egg crate which would be easier to hide

Back