Afraid my clowns gonna die :(

owen386

Reefing newb
Bought a pair of clowns from a repetipal LFS on Saturday. One of them is swimming around fine seems to be doing ok yet has not eaten yet... And the other one I'm really scared for as yesterday he was swimming down in the same spot in some rock work all day... And today he is in back of tank breathing really heavy almost just floating near the bottom on his side! Any help into what might be wrong or how I can help him would be much appreciated hate seeing animals die! This morning guy ran over a chipmunk right in front of me and I felt bad lol. Tank has been cycled for about three weeks now meaning water has been 0ammonia 0 nitrite nitrate keeping at 5 and under p.h constant 8 temp swings of +- 1 degree 77-78 10% water changes weekly fish were drip acclimated for few hours

-Owen

Other occupants? How are they acting?

Its not unusual for fish to refuse to eat for a few days after being added to a tank, its a pretty stressful experience

Also, clowns do a lot of crazy things. Mine sleep on thier side on the top of the water, they literally look dead. Once the lights come on, the swim about the tank as normal, and as soon as its lights out, they float up on thier sides again

This will be one of those "Wait and see" things. Looks like you did everything right. He might perk up. As for the eating, they might not really eat for a few days anyway. Assuming they weren't already sick (but not showing signs until they were stressed from the move), there's not much else you can do. Putting them in qt might cause more stress and kill him anyway.

Other occupants are the cuc been in there around three weeks. They are al thriving the two peppermints have already molted and the hermits have actually switched shells. Thhey Looked great at the LFS. Will not use qt tank as I think it is do to stress with the move. Also I had the lights on when acclimating prob should have shut them off could this have caused it? Hope they survive they are my first salt water fish !

-Owen

Also, clowns do a lot of crazy things. Mine sleep on thier side on the top of the water, they literally look dead. Once the lights come on, the swim about the tank as normal, and as soon as its lights out, they float up on thier sides again

HAHA! Mine does the same thing. At first I thought something was wrong with him, but then the more I watched him the more I saw his patterns. Clowns are nuts lol

Naw drip acclimated I.e poured bag with fish and water into 2gal bucket then dripped 1-2 drips per sec for 2-3 hrs then netted fished and placed in dt. Update: one of the fish is doing excellent swimming around quite normally. Other one in my opinion is acting the "same" see above, but my gf sais it "looks" better since she scene it this a.m. Got some mysis shrimp from LFS will be feeding in a minute let y'all know how it goes.

-Owen

Fish has died! :( c
5 minutes ago just saw it getting kicked around by power heads. Going return body to LFS and bring my water to be checked and hopefully get to the bottom of this so that I can replace him safely I'm assuming it was a stress related death. Thanks for help guys !

-Owen

Have a HOB refugium that causes whole bunch of bubbles when water gets lower because of evaporation and I was under the belief this was bad so try to keep water level high to not cause this. Have 2 power heads that ripple surface.

-Owen

Could have just been a really sick fish. It happens, but sorry to hear. How's the other one doing? If that one is fine, thatn it really might have just been that one bad fish. Sorry for your loss :(

Ah, im sorry about your fishie :(

I know it really sucks when this happens, i had two damsels die mysteriously on me when i first started my tank. I think it was a stress thing.

But it doesnt sound like you did anything wrong, just had bad luck

Update : Found the other one picked Clean this Morning!!!!! ERRRR So Pisssed! Completed another full set of test, No Culprit on that front. Will be going back to the store tonight with water sample and fish and see if they can shed any light on it. Will hopefully be replacing them tonight and hope it was stress related. I don`t wanna kill anymore fish! Thanks Guys!

-Owen

Aw that sucks....so it went from healthy to dead? Do you hear clicking? Maybe you have a mantis, too? Probably not the cause of the first one's death, but you never know.

if both fish died i would try a different LFS... or maybe take your water to a few different local pet stores and have them check it-every once in a while you'll find a bad/way old test kit that just isn't accurate... it sounds like bad fish to me though.

Store is where I get all My freshwater fish and never had a problem, also everyone i know goes there and never has problems. Chalking it up to bad luck. Just got back from Store they tested my water their test came out the same as mine, Perfect, There Guarantee is 48 hrs and I also did not save my receipt So i just sucked it up and bought another pair only 30$ not bad, currently drip acclimating will let you all know how these guys do.

-Owen

Wowwwwwww! This is what healthy fish look like ! Lol drip acclimated for about 21/2 hrs last night with tank lights and all ambient lights off. This morning when lights came on damn these guys a active swimming all around the tank, perfect color, no heavy breathing and get this gave them there first feeding and they gobbled it up ! Crossing my fingers everything goes well. But in comparison to the other pair 100% different for the better! Thanks again for all your support guys!

-Owen

Back