AGA megaflow sump model 2 question

Variko

Reefing newb
I saw an aga sump filter model 2 today at petco for $105. The cheapest i saw this thing online was $429. My plan is to drop a drain from my 120 main into a 55 gallon refuge then drain it into the return section of this sump. I will remove the bioballs and simply run a skimmer and return pump. Will the foam thing after the skimmer work well as a bubble trap or will I have to modify it and build a bubble trap. Also the pump return section is rather small. I couldnt pass it up for the price. It was an unopened product.

Thanx for any advice,

Eddie

That is a good price. How do you plain to have your refugium drain into this sump? The foam thing will get clogged with detritus and crap pretty quickly. If you can use the sump without it, I think you'd be better off. You may not have a bubble problem. If you do have to build a bubble trap, it will just mean inserting one piece of plexiglass, so it's not that big of a deal.

The main tank will partially drain into the 55g refugium then the refugium will have 2- 1" drains into the sump return pump section. The rest of the main will drain directly into the sump skimmer section.

Yes. My 120 will have 2 1" drains in the back. I will either put a tee in one with a valve to regulate flow into the fuge or if Im lucky Ill drop one drain into the fuge and one into the skimmer section and call it a day. Doubt it will be that easy though. One thing I think for sure is the return pump section is way too small on this sump.

Awesome. Sounds good. The return section is where you will see all the evaporation, so too small of a return section means your pump will be sucking air frequently, and you'll have to top off all the time.

How hard is it to add a baffle to an acrylic sump? Cant find a thread for this. I am also planning on adding a water top off set up. I was gonna make a sump out of a 20 gallon, but this deal seemed to good to pass up......figured if I had to mod it I would still be ahead.

Not difficult. You can get glass cut to fit at a glass shop, or plexiglass cut at Lowe's or Home Depot. Then you either silicone it in, or use Weld On.

That was a stupid question plenty of info on that. Thanks for your input! I was worried it would be too hard to adapt this as my sump. I loved the 10" width as it would fit right behind a 55 gallon fuge. I made the purchase quickly due to the price. I hate rushed decisions.

Back