AGA stand question

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
hello everyone. i have a questions for all you experts out there, i have a 120 AGA with AGA pine stand, http://www.all-glass.com/products/stands/index.html, with a vertical brace in the middle which separates the door. my question is can i take it off(like saw it out)? if i can, what is the long term effect on the structural strenght of my stand? the reason is i want to change my sump to a bigger one and it won't fit in there without taking the thing off. if i can't, what are my options?
thank you.

Im not a carpentry major but I would say that it could have a negative effect in the long run being as the center brace helps to equal the weight.

I agree with Jelly, I wouldn't risk it. It's probably a support brace.

I ran into the same problem when I added my sump. I ended up putting the sump on the floor next to the tank. It's ugly, since you can see all the plumbing, and it gets in the way, but I'm working on convincing my husband to build a simple back-less cabinet to fit over it so that it will look like I just have a cabinet next to my tank.

Other people that have more options than I do have plumbed through the wall into the room behind the tank and put their sump and equipment in the next room. This works especially well if you are lucky enough to have your tank next to a closet. Kinda tough for me since I live in a townhouse, my neighbors wouldn't appreciate a sump in their dining room.

jerm redone my cabinets while I was in basic now my 30 sits next to the cabinets the stand he built is backless were goin to slide a 20 high under the 30 inside the stand and plumb the ro unit under the sink and run it out the side of the cabinet. We have done so much work to both houses that before and after pics really should have been done.

you can take it out as long as all four corners are level with each other. If the stand is not level the tank will flex. this increases the chance of breakage. we keep a 220 on a stand with no brace in the center. this tank has been up and operational on the stand for about 4 years.

The way mass produced stand are made is with thin wood, so I wouldnt remove it, it might be waight baring.

jermpool said:
I wouldn't do it.

My reason for not doing it is that they build the stands as cheap as poosible to make more proffit. They aren't going to put somthing under the tank that noone can see if it doesn't need it.

jermpool said:
I wouldn't do it.

My reason for not doing it is that they build the stands as cheap as posible to make more proffit. They aren't going to put somthing under the tank that noone can see if it doesn't need it.

Yeah, I'd just be afraid of the whole thing collapsing eventually. Tanks filled with sand and rocks and water weigh a lot. I worry about my stand since it's a cheapo Walmart stand, but there's nothing I can do about it!

Yep saltwater alone is 8lbs a gallon factor in the weight of your rock and your sand my 125 I dont even want to think about the weight on that monster

Back