Aggressive clown

Jaredf

Reefing newb
I only have one fish in my tank which is a true percula clown he has been in my tank for around 3 months he used to stay in the one side but roams the tank all the time , I just noticed lately if I move corals or even stick my hand in the tank he attacks me like crazy doesn't matter where my hand is in the tank . My question I have been stocking up on pods for months to get a mandrin or another fish do you think he will attack any fish I put in the tank since I'm assuming he must think he runs the tank now since he is the only fish.

Good chance. My Maroon Yellow Stripe Clown which are some of the more aggressive clowns will attack my hand and also chases my Coral Beauty Angel and Blue Damsel. They can be pretty aggressive and will stand up for themselves.

I had two clowns before in my 55 gallon reef and they killed my leopard wrasse in a week figured if i only got one this time it wouldnt be as agressive :(What are the chances of keeping any fish with him in the tank ?

Well, my true Percula isn't as aggressive as my Maroon. I added two Firefish to the tank he is in and he only chased them for a few days, now everyone lives in harmony. You can always re-arrange the rocks to mess up his territory and turn the lights out for a day maybe that will help him get over any new additions.

+1 MikeG

The clownfish are in the damsel family, so they can become very aggressive. But i would worry about adding the mandarine, they are pretty peaceful and could be subjected to bullying from the clown. I would consider adding a different fish, like a 6 line

I'll just get rid of the clown I've been pod stocking every month, and have wanted one for years . thanks for the advice guys and gals !

Do you have a fuge? What you can do is put yout clown in "time out" in the fuge for a little bit. Add your new fish. After the new one has been in for a couple of days, re-introduce the clown with lights out. That may help.

Back