Aggressive Sixline Wrasse!

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

I have a question, I bought a nice pair of true Percula Clowns tonite and acclimated them to my tank's temp and salinity and added them to my display. My sixline wrasse went berserk and started darting at them and nipping at them. Is this behavior going to change...is he/she going to get used to them or am I going to have to go fishing? I like Razz a lot, but he/she can't be bullying the clowns.

Also, is it normal for a clown to just go to the top of your tank and kind of just chill out there? The larger of the pair has gone to the top left corner of my tank (above my return lines) and is just kinda hanging out while the other one is swimming around looking all happy. (The lights are out so the wrasse is sleeping)

Thanks as always!

~RC

Mine do the whole top of the tank thing at night...but then they stopped when they started to fall in love with my heater
for the 6 line I dont know

I have 2 clowns that seem to like hosting my corner overflow at nite but swim around during the day. I think your six line is just being territorial ... he will calm down after awhile. I really like six lines so i hope it works out for you. I would hate to hear you had to go fishing!

Sixlines can be really aggressive sometimes, but other times they show no aggression at all. Is the sixline much bigger or smaller than the clowns? If it's smaller, there's a good chance it's behavior will stop once it gets used to the clowns.

It may help for you to rearrange some of the rocks so that the fish will be forced to re-establish their territories.

It sounds like your one clown has decided to host the return lines. As long as it's eating and acting healthy, there's nothing to worry about. If it's at the surface gasping for breath, that's another story...

sixline wrasses are assh*&es. there is no other way around it. THey just suck. they are aggressive. period. they are great fish when in a tank full of tangs. If he is bigger than the clowns, he will not stop beating on them til you put in a bigger fish to kick his trash. How big is your tank? they tend to not accept tankmates at all, once established, if in a tank 30 gallons or smaller.

they are just really territorial. Now for the good news (sarcasm intended) I bet money your clowns aren't hosting anything. they are scared shitless and they are hiding from the wrasse. I saw identical behavior with angelfish when there is a dominant fish and one that gets "pwned". They will not leave til the wrasse either accepts them, they starve to death, or you yank the wrasse. Biff mentioned rearranging the rocks. that is the best bet to try to get them to get along. Good luck

-Doc

I've found that sixlines are least aggressive when they are the last fish added to the tank.I've also noticed that once they start agressive behavior,its nearly impossible to get them to stop.

Yep...you guys were right! The sixline was still being an aggressive butthole this morning (he even chased the male into the overflow and he wound up in the sump!!!). The female was still just floating above the return lines so I did what I had to do and caught that SOB (after removing some of my rockwork) and carried him to the fish store.....what a pain!

I got a nice looking firefish to replace him along with a purple/black basslet!

Thanks all!

~RC

great job. I would avoid wrasses in the future, except for flasher or fairy wrasse. Those are all good

-Doc

Wow!! 6lines sure do take a beating!!! I had 2 clowns and a cardinal in my tank and I put a 6line wrasse and a bicolor angel in at the same time. The two of them follow each other around all day. As a matter of fact, all five fish can be in 1 corner of my 65g tank, wiggling and swimming all over the place like they are one big happy family. There is never any bickering from the wrasse. Not even during feedings. Now, after I put the mandarin in. He was not happy. He picked on the mandarin relentlessly but, only for a few hours. The mandarin WAS in HIS territory. By the evening, my tank was back to a nice peaceful tank. My mandarin is eating and happy and my wrasse could care less that he is there. Maybe I just got lucky. But I wouldn't give up my wrasse for anything!!! He is a hoot!!!

I've found that sixlines are least aggressive when they are the last fish added to the tank.I've also noticed that once they start agressive behavior,its nearly impossible to get them to stop.
Mine was the last added never had a problem yet knock on wood

Back