Aiptasia Control

Pterois

Reefing newb
After trying everything I've read on Garf for Aiptasia control, I finally gave in and purchased a Copperband Butterfly fish and a peppermint shrimp. Within two minutes of being in the tank, the Copperband started eating aiptasia. I am not recommending this fish for anyone with just a few aiptasia, because once the preferred food source is gone, he will die. I have 3 tanks and one in the setup phase, so I don't think he'll run out of food quickly. If he does deplete my aiptasia, I have live brine shrimp eggs on hand and can get live mysis. I haven't seen the shrimp since release.

Angela

I had not problem gettin my copperband to eat frozen mysis.... the issue is they like to be fed often.... so once a day feeding with those guys will end up in a dead guy in about 6 months..

That was the lesson i learned with my first.

The second one i had for about a year... left for a three day weekend had a guy schedulted to feed the tank.... his car broke down he called i said dont worry about it all should be ok.... after three days he wouldn't ever take food (live or frozen) again only to pass a week later.

They are truly a awesome fish and even with all my efforts after loosing two i swore never to get another....

Hope all goes well for you.

Brandon

Brandon,

So you think I should feed him mysis even if his purpose is to eat the aiptasia (there's probably 100 of them)?

Angela

Pterois said:
Brandon,

So you think I should feed him mysis even if his purpose is to eat the aiptasia (there's probably 100 of them)?

Angela

Well that is kinda a tricky question.... You start feeding him mysis then he will most likely stop eating the aiptasia and take the easy route of mysis....

I would try and get it to where he would atleast eat mysis, but keep an eye on his billy and his body width... if he starts looking thin, (they are thin fish, but you can tell if they start loosing muscle mass) you might want to start giving him more food more often...

I truely love those fish and wish you better luck than I had.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As far as the aptasia... get a 20 gauge suringe from CVS where ever usually 1$ with needle and all...... mix up like one table spoon kalk with a couple tablespoons of water... put it in the mirowave.... it will help desolve it all into the water.......

Feed the aptasia nice.. make them big and fat(this way they cant draw up)... Then stab them and inject a small but good amount into them.

Keep in mind that concentrated Kalk has a very high PH and Calcium concentration, so don't inject large amounts of this near any corals.

Let me know how it goes, but i've never had a problem ending the life of aptasia that way.

Brandon

I had a copper band for over a year, He ate all of the aptasia and kept it under control. He also ate shrimp and flake food. These fish all have their own stories. I have never heard of any two acting the same. I finally got rid of mine because after he ate the aptasia he started nibbling on my other corals. Good Luck.

I agree... my first wouldn't touch aptasia with a 10 foot poll.... :frustrat:

The other seemed like thats what he liked best...

Back