Aiptasia in Sump

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
Hello Everybody!

I have had my 60 gallon tank going for four months and it has really started to look good over the last month. I noticed a lot of aiptasia starting to grow on my LR, so I got a peppermint shrimp and it has not been a problem. Until recently, when I noticed that I have a bunch of them growing on the walls of my sump :(. I have just left them for the time being because I dont want to try and get rid of them and have them spread. I would get more shrimp for the sump, but most of the anemonies are in the return compartment and I dont want the shrimp to get sucked into the pump. Let me know if you have any advise or any methods of ridding the sump of these vile villains.

What I've done, and yes everyone laughs at me for doing this but it works, is to fill a hypodermic needle ( or whatever they're called - a syringe with a needle) fill it with lemon juice and squirt it right into the aiptasia to kill it. Kills em dead!

I read about that in an article, but there are so many and right now they are small. A lot of them are probably really hard to get to. I will def use that method on the easily accessible large ones. Do you just wait for them to get big enough to inject? Wont they continue spreading while I wait for them to get big?

What I've done, and yes everyone laughs at me for doing this but it works, is to fill a hypodermic needle ( or whatever they're called - a syringe with a needle) fill it with lemon juice and squirt it right into the aiptasia to kill it. Kills em dead!

This didn't work for me sadly. I use Aiptasia-X now which works as long as you get it on the oral disc before the anemone retracts into the rock.

Aiptasia X F#%KED UP every single 1 of the damn aiptasias in my tank. Just get as close as you can to it b4 you squirt the X at it. If not it WILL retreat into the rock while shooting more of its [spores?] into the tank & increasing its numbers!!

the problem is in the sump where they are just attached to the acrylic and have no place to hide. I can seek them out and rain hellfire on them from above. Say hello to my little friend... Aiptasia X

Personally,I'd leave the aiptasia thats in the sump alone.They will feed on the organic particles that they can catch coming through.Kind of a natural filter.
Just nuke the ones you find in the display to keep em in check.

Back