aiptasia or feather duster?

fishbait

I found Nemo
found some more new hitchikers today while swimming in my reef as i do daily. i can't tell if their aiptasia (because i have never had any before) or if they are feather dusters. they are to small to photograph right now so i will give the best explanation that i can. the first two that i noticed were on a small piece of rubble rock laying on the substrate. they are red with many small fibrouse crowns which leads me to believe they may be feather dusters, coconut worms or something of that sort. but, just above them on a another rock is another one but it is white, with a blueish tint to it. i could only see four tentacles sticking out. this one i may believe is aiptasia. but, the ones that i have seen a lfs's are usually brownish colored. of course i had to (poke it with a stick) to see what happened. the red ones retracted very quickly before i got to close. and i had to rough up the blueish colored one to get it to close up. all of them came back out very quickly as soon a i quit poking around the tank.

Can you get a pic of them?

Feed it,if it retracts into the rock,then its most likely a feather duster.If it grabs the food,then most likely a aiptasia.

after further investagation i'm pretty sure the red one's are feather dusters. i can see the tiny little tube that they live in on the rock. i have noticed more than 4 tentacles on the other one. i'm afraid its aiptasia. i just haven't seen any that wasn't brown.

Back