Aiptasia?

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
Hope it's not. It's super tiny sticking on the tank glass. The background is a K3 power head.

Attachments

• fish-ufo.jpg
    fish-ufo.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 509
  • fish-ufoL.jpg
    fish-ufoL.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
If its the jellies,then they tand to just go away on their own and dont cause any problems.If its aiptasia,then you'll need to kill it with something like Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice.
If you can wipe it off the glass with no effort,then its the jellies.

Yea, I'm not going to take the chance. I just used an air tube and created a siphon to try to suck it out. It hung on tight. I then used the tube edge to scape it and it kinda got cut in half and the tiny tentacles (or whatever they are) got sucked out immediately. Scraped it a few more times and got the root out as well. I believe the siphon should have got every of its little parts sucked out since they are so tiny.

You'll know pretty soon if it was an aiptasia, because where there's one there's some! Keep an eye out for them and get 'em before they have a chance to 'take off."

I'd lean towards Hydroid on this one, based on shape, color, and the fact that it's on the glass. Aips can grow on the glass (I've seen it once in my fuge) but it's very unlikely that you would see them on glass first without them being in your LR. Hydroids almost always show up on the glass first. If you see more pop up, I would go with Yote on this one and say just leave them. They will disappear on their own.

Just found another one, but this one is 1000x bigger (compare to the one I first saw on the glass. It's in the fuge (a 5g home depot bucket). Easier to identify now. Should I use a tube to try to suck it out while scrape it?

Attachments

• fish-Aiptasia.jpg
    fish-Aiptasia.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 711
If you do try to remove it, make sure that you have suction over it before you try to scrape it, if it is an aip, it will release spore as soon as you start messing with it and you'll end up with them everywhere.

that last one in the bucket is an aptasia and i think the first one was a hydroid. you can get some aptasia x or some joes juice and it will kill them dead.

Just remembered this fuge is just a bucket. I took the whole thing out and put a new bucket in. :D

After I took it out, used a flashlight to closely examine it. Dang! I had at least 4 of them in different size attacked to the bucket wall! It must have been come from the Chaeto (with a small LR) combo that I got from ebay. That would explain why I got them just in the fuge (for now). My bucket/fuge was only setup 5 days ago when the Chaeto/LR arrived. Could they grow that big in just 5 days?

Yeah I have to agree that they sound/look like aips. Take Daugherty's advice and go get some aiptaisa x. They will be back, without a doubt. you may also want to get some peppermint shrimp. They eat aips. Shrimp require stable water conditions though and I don't recall how new your tank is, but if it's brand new, it's too soon for shrimp

Just remembered this fuge is just a bucket. I took the whole thing out and put a new bucket in. :D

Just doing my weekly cleaning and close check up on everything. Found another one in the fuge again. This one is still small. I'm gonna just switch a new bucket in again. Lucky it hasn't spread to the main tank yet.

Back