Aiptasia

What if aiptasia and clownfish come from different parts of the world? Different oceans, for example? Then your idea that "dumb clownfish should know better" than to touch it is null! How would they know? They've never encountered that type of animal before! :mrgreen:

I thought clownfish had immunity to all anemone stings? Or is aiptasia a different story with clowns?

two interesting things I just found on wetwebmedia
1. Perhaps the best (cheapest, most readily available, easiest to track and remove...) Aiptasia nemesis are a few Hermit Crabs. In particular the more common "Red Legged ("Hairy") Hermit Crab, Clibanarius digueti is an almost-all-the-time reef-safe animal that also eats pest algae. One or two to a tank is all it takes. (I didn't know hermit's could get rid of them)
2. Aiptasia-eating Shrimp, especially the Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni (Image), can be a great Aiptasia muncher. Be aware that there is some confusion in the trade re this species (from the Atlantic) and a few others including the native California coast Lysmata californica... with darker, bolder dark striping... this latter Lysmata is no good as a designated Aiptasia muncher.
I.D. info on Lysmata: Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Articles By Hobbyists for Hobbyists

I thought clownfish had immunity to all anemone stings? Or is aiptasia a different story with clowns?

Nothing is immune to aiptasia stings.Anemones differ in how bad their stings are.Bubbletips have fairly weak nematocysts.They can not penetrate your skin.Carpet anemones,on the other hand can fire you up when you touch them.And aiptasia nematocysts are quiet a bit stronger than a carpet anemone.

I tried the lime juice. It took care of the bigger one, or at least I think it did. It has been shriveled up for a few days. The few smaller ones, I can find 2 out of the many that I found, so its working. My LFS is having a sale for their anniversary. I am going to take advantage of the 25% off purchases over $100. Pick up some needed things!

I have many many large Aiptasia in my tank, I would say about 20 quarter size or bigger! I bought Aitasia-X, If i "treat" them all do I need to worry about my water quality like other large anemone?

Yes. You should only treat a few at a time. The Aiptasia X can spike your pH if you use too much of it.

Have you tried buying some peppermint shrimp? They naturally control aiptasia. In a 120 gallon tank, you should get 6 or 8 of them.

this will work 100% for you read the part of Reef Compatibility: my tank was full of those.... no lemon or aiptasiaX help me but with this fish i end the problem in about 3 weeks :bounce:

Copperband Butterflyfish
[SIZE=-1]
ButterflyCopperband1.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Identification: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]The Copperband Butterflyfish, also known as the Beaked Butterflyfish, Beaked Coralfish, or Orange Stripe Butterfly, has a long, narrow nose and mouth used for hunting into crevices and holes for food. Adorned with yellow-orange vertical bands and black edging, for protection it has a false eyespot on the rear of its dorsal fin.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Minimum tank size:[/SIZE][SIZE=-2] 75 Gallon
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Feeding and diet: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to get to start feeding. Offer a varied diet including crustacean flesh, mysid shrimp and frozen preparations.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Reef Compatibility: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]As a rule it is generally reef safe, but nothing is 100%. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium. Most individuals can be kept in a reef tank with most soft corals and small-polyped stony corals, although some may nip at shrimp and fan worms.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Level of Care: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Moderate[/SIZE]

I am going to have to order them online I think! That makes me a little nervous because we have a package room at the apartment and I am not sure they will tell me right away when I have a package to be picked up!
Not a good idea ordering on line, I bought a Regal Tang on line and when it arrived the next day the water it was in was stone cold, the fish survived but shrimps might not if the water gets too cold, lfs normally stock peppermints.

Allen

Back