Aiptasia

Don't try to scrape them or pull them off. They release spores. Best bet is to use aptasia x. I have also been able to pull out a certain rock and spot nuke the aptasia with boiling water, rinse the rock in old tank water and put it back in. Never boil an entire rock though. The fumes can be dangerous.

aiptasia X or peppermint shrimp if wont be eaten. I also have a filefish who loved em, now he eats mysis, weird little guy, love him.

I just set up my tank yesterday. It's a 54 gal corner and I'm starting to see some aptasia. I got 20 gal of cycled water from my buddies tank and I mixed the rest. I have about 60 lbs of live rock, can I add a peppermint shrimp now to try getting rid of it? Or should I just grab some hermits and snails?or just leave it be and keep cycling my water?

Make sure your tank is done cycling before putting anything in there :) Also, there is no guarantee that the shrimp will eat your aiptasia. Try Aiptasia-x. Plus you can go ahead and use it now.

Ok thanks ill try it. I figured since I used 20 gal of cycled water it would speed the process up a little bit. Are some hermits and snails ok to add soon? There's one hermit in there now. And how many should I get? I read 1 for every gallon?

You need to be patient. Watch your levels and wait until your cycle is done before adding anything living to your tank. The hermit that is in there might die when the ammonia spikes, it might live though. No point in adding more just to risk it.

If you put in established LR and 1/3 of your water is established you may be OK and not see a drastic cycle. People (including myself) have done 50% changes with no ill effects. What did you use for substrate?

Back