Aiptasia

reefnoob

Reefing newb
Not really sure if this is the correct forum...But as the title says, I have aiptasia. I have been fortunate as to not encounter the many pests that other reefers often face. But today I have found a single aiptasia in in my refugium. I don't want to use the chemicals such as aiptasia x or anything. I want to try the lemon juice way. But how exactly do you do this?

Aiptasia X is perfectly safe . What it does is seal the mouth closed to prevent the release of babies due to the stress (easy way to describe it) once sealed the pest instantly melts away. lemon juice will not do that. I just used aiptasia X in my display last night - I had 4 of the dang things that I missed on a frag . No harm done to anything other than the original target .

Aiptasia X is perfectly safe . What it does is seal the mouth closed to prevent the release of babies due to the stress (easy way to describe it) once sealed the pest instantly melts away. lemon juice will not do that. I just used aiptasia X in my display last night - I had 4 of the dang things that I missed on a frag . No harm done to anything other than the original target .

Then couldn't I just seal the mouth with super glue or epoxy?

Then couldn't I just seal the mouth with super glue or epoxy?

If you can trick the aiptasia into accepting the superglue into its mouth and not spit it out or retract before it cures, it still would not be enough.
The superglue itself will not kill aiptasia.

You can try many different home remedies. But in the end, getting the proper tool for the job will produce the best results.

Aiptasia X does the following:
1. It Tricks the aiptasia into thinking it is food, so it accepts it readily.
2. It clogs the aiptasia's mouth so that it cannot release planula, which is a stress response.
3. It kills the aiptasia and any planula inside.

If you can trick the aiptasia into accepting the superglue into its mouth and not spit it out or retract before it cures, it still would not be enough.

You can try many different home remedies. But in the end, getting the proper tool for the job will produce the best results.

2. It clogs the aiptasia's mouth so that it cannot release planula, which is a stress response.

All of that ^^^

Or how about completely covering it with epoxy? "burying" it sort of. I just don't want to spend money on a big bottle (I can't find any single shot aiptasia x) for one single aiptasia.

Ive had the same large bottle for years and it still works. I havent found a shelf life if there is one. Just bite the bullet and buy the bottle. At some point in this hobby youll need it.

I had one too and I killed it using hydrogen peroxide. I took the rock outside the tank and put in a container with saltwater and apply the solution with a syringe. It worked for me.

A few weeks ago I had a huge outbreak of them for some unknown reason but I used Aiptasia X and it took care of the problem with to ill side effects to the fish or inverts. I does not cost that much money so I would suggest that you pick some up. Plus it is always handy to have some on stand by.

Back