Air Conditioner question :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Hello my knowledgeable friends! Can anyone tell me if a brand blower motor for an A/C unit is interchangeable with another brand? If I have a FASCO, can I get a different brand that's equivalent?

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

I work with blower fans all of the time , do you have a model # for the current one ?

What is going to play a big part in the replacement is the shaft size .

yeah yeah yeah , what she said ...... I know

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
    wontonflip likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

Also

are you sure the motor is bad , and its not just a capacitor issue ?

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
    wontonflip likes this.
  4. wontonflip

Ok here's what is happening. Starting a couple of days ago, we heard a loud hum. There was still cold air coming out of the vents, but it was weak. We checked out the utility room, and we heard the hum from in there. We can see the squirrel cage housing vibrating. The compressor outside sounded normal, no weird issues. We shut of the A/C until we could look at it today.

Today, we pulled out the housing, and there was corrosion on the squirrel cage, so we filed off the corrosion and vacuumed it, and put WD-40 on the cage and the motor.

The motor is a FASCO D701 model. We are ready to buy one from Amazon (same brand/model), however, home depot has some motors, but different brand.

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
  5. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

As long as all of the electrical specs match up , and the Diameter & length of the shaft are the same then you are good to go.

Replace the capacitor at the same time as the motor , they are fairly cheap and can save you the headache of making a second trip to the store.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE CAPCITORS - THEY ARE CHARGED EVEN WHEN NOTHING IS CONNECTED TO THEM - THEY CAN AND WILL SHOCK YOU.

When you say that the squirrel cage was "vibrating" it wasn't anything crazy I assume ? the fan blades are balanced similar to how they do the tires on your car. there is a weight that is placed on one of the blades that can sometimes come off or move therefore throwing the entire fan out of balance. If that occurs, then a new motor will need to be installed along with a new cage .

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
  6. wontonflip

No...it was vibrating, not shaking. Not crazy shaking. Vibrating stronger than what it should. No clanking or clicking or anything. I would gone all freak out if it were LOL I d NOT have $10k lying around to replace this whole unit. I know it's due to be changed out, but if I can prolong the change out, it would be better. We just try to maintain everything to hopefully make it last longer.

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
  7. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

A new motor is MUCH cheaper than the entire Motor/Fan assembly. If you have the ability to change the motor, then that's where I would start. Worst possible outcome is you are right back to where you are now.

The motor will have a wiring diagram on the side of the body. They are pretty simple , and color coded.

Let me know if you need anything else.

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
  8. wontonflip

You mean just this, right?:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fasco-D701-5-6-Inch-Enclosure-Reversible/dp/B007VJO1OE]Fasco D701 5.6-Inch Direct Drive Blower Motor, 1/2 HP, 115 Volts, 1075 RPM, 4 Speed, 7.7 Amps, OAO Enclosure, Reversible Rotation, Sleeve Bearing - Amazon.com[/ame]

Or just the inside part of that? That part above is what we were looking at if all this cleaning and wd-40'ing doesn't work.

Also, hubby wants to know if we get a bigger motor, same physical size, but more amps, would we have to change the capacitor and the circuit board to match it?

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
  9. wontonflip

lilmatty5dimes

Dang our motor just went out in our AC unit that's from 2001. Decided to just get a new one since the unit is so old. This is the apex temp probe for the mistress.
    [​IMG]

lilmatty5dimes, Sep 1, 2013
  10. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

Replace this :

[​IMG]

And this :

[​IMG]

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
  11. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

Go with a direct replacement . If you decide to move to bigger parts then its best to hire someone that know the system limitations . Bigger isn't always better in these situations.

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
  12. wontonflip

Ah yeah that's what we were looking at.

We got it all hoooked back up, and still loud. Sounds like a car motor. Hubby thinks maybe the squirrel cage and it's very slightly misaligned. But it's not as loud as yesterday. He's convinced the motor is fine. I think we'll try to get a new squirrel cage first and see if it helps. Cold air is blowing out.

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
  13. wontonflip

texreefer Battle Dwarf

If the humming is coming from the motor (only place it can be coming from really) then there is a good chance that the bearings are going out. That will slow the fan speed by quite a bit.

texreefer, Sep 1, 2013
  14. wontonflip

Ok. We'll go ahead and order the new motor and capacitor. I think it'll be worth it. Thanks so much for your help! I knew I can always count of my fellow reefers for non-fishy stuff!!!

wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013
  15. wontonflip

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

I would match size for size. You can only cool to what the units cfm is. You will not effectively cool if you over rev the capability. New units offer 2 stage motors if temp is not achieved in x amount of time, then it calls for the motor to ramp up. It just sounds like the sleeve bearings went out and upgrading to a roller bearing(if possible) would be your best solution.

mariobrothersleeve, Sep 1, 2013
    wontonflip likes this.
  16. wontonflip

Ok now a new thing....we're going to order the motor and capacitor. We turned it on for a few hours (mind you, it's around 80 degrees today, and the house has been hot since yesterday morning). There's now liquid pooling around the base. It doesn't *look* like it's in the cabinet. Definitely looks like water.

Could it be condensation? All the wires and circuits are DRY. We've turned it off for now.

Arrow is where the drip is coming from; it's in the top back left corner:

[​IMG]

Pooling at the bottom:

[​IMG]

wontonflip, Sep 2, 2013
  17. wontonflip

Found this:
    Everything about Air Conditioner Water Leaks
    This totally sounds like our problem in addition to the loud motor.

Using Your Home Furnace as an Ice Maker

wontonflip, Sep 2, 2013
  18. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

The unit may be freezing up Gretch.
    There are several things that can cause that.A dirty/ clogged indoor coil that impedes air flow. usually caused from failing to replace the return filters. The coil should really be cleaned twice a year reguardless.

The fan going out can cause the unit to freeze up to. If the bearings have gone out, that will slow the fan speed down, allowing ice to build up on the coil.

Low freon can also cause the unit to freeze up.

yote, Sep 2, 2013
    wontonflip likes this.
  19. wontonflip

About time you showed up ;)

These are also all in line with the problems I've been experiencing. I admit we haven't had it professionally serviced in a couple of years. But we regularly vacuum all the vents since we have dogs. Does a professional have to be the one to clean the indoor coils?

wontonflip, Sep 2, 2013
  20. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I would suggest to have a pro come clean it and do a full mainteance on it.
    He'll clean both the indoor and outdoor coil and check the freon. Check for any worn wires and oil the fan bearings ( unless they are the dry type ).

You have be careful of the acid when you clean those coils.

yote, Sep 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question