Air Conditioner question :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Sep 1, 2013.

1. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

BESIDES, you know I'm always a day late and a dollar short.:mrgreen:

yote, Sep 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

2XAl Salt Addict VIP Member

If its low on refrigerant it's probably r22. Talk to the tech about a retrofit to a new refrigerant as 22 isn't getting any cheaper.

2XAl, Sep 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

If the condensation wasn't present until after we had kept the a/c off, though, how likely is it that it is low freon? We ordered a new motor and capacitor. At least we will save money on that part. Then turn it back on and see how it goes. I'm sure either way I'll get condensation from the a/c being off.

With the a/c being off a few days, will the coils stay frozen?

wontonflip, Sep 2, 2013
  4. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

That's to much water for normal condensation.
    It's probably not low on freon, but I'll bet all that water is from a frozen coil. Which the fan motor going out can cause.

The unit really should be serviced though. The proper service, and you could get a few more years out of it.

yote, Sep 2, 2013
    wontonflip likes this.
  5. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Yeah we are definitely getting it serviced after we get the new motor.

wontonflip, Sep 2, 2013
  6. wontonflip

RockStacker

We had issues with excess water coming from the evaporator unit in our A/C last year too.
    I noticed a lot of water coming out of the secondary overflow tube under the eaves of the roof. This secondary overflow is only supposed to drip if the primary drain from the plenum is either clogged or taking in too much water.

What happened in our case was that the A/C was about 40% undercharged.
    So it would run and cool the house down a bit, and all of a sudden it forms an ice pack on the evaporator coil in the attic. Once the evaporator coil is completely covered in ice, it clogs the airflow and the A/C somehow shuts down and tries to re-cycle after some time.
    During this shutdown period, the ice pack melts and starts to drip a lot of water.

In the summer it is VERY hot in our attic, so all that ice melts rapidly and overwhelms the primary drain.

The A/C tech flushed the system (because the unit has never been serviced ever since it was installed) and charged with new refrigerant.

At another house, we had an issue with undercharged refrigerant too. That time, it was severely undercharged and it was the line nearest the condenser unit that was covered in ice.

RockStacker, Sep 7, 2013
  7. wontonflip

Newbs64 Go Oilers!

I would go get some no rinse coil cleaner and spray it on the A coil while your in there. Also spin that cage make sure you didn't lose a counter weight make sure it spins smooth.

Newbs64, Sep 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question