Air Quality (lol)

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
I know you can's spray anything aerosol around a tank but was wondering would there be adverse effects from just sitting a candle of some other air freshner under my cabinet..since I added the EV240 there s a little stale smell underneath the cabinet when I open the doors, I guess from where the overflow nasty stuff is going into the overflow bottle, and this skimmer pulls in a lot of outside air. I know it may be a dumb q but better safe than sorry......and the candle would not be lit of course!!! Woul hate to burn down the house over a little smelly overflow!!

+1 toolman

I wouldn't put anything with fragrance near the tank. If you can smell it, that means there are chemicals creating the smell that we, as humans, find pleasant. That also means there are chemicals in the vicinity of your tank.

I don't have any problems with plug-in air freshner in the house, but i wouldn't put any chemicals under the tank. Air it out like others said. Might even be helpful to get some of that stuff from home depot that sucks moisture out of the air. Do you have ventilation under their now? My stand is completely enclosed so I had to install some vents and a fan that blows the air out the vents.

If something is causing an odor, you'd be much better off working to get rid of the source than just masking the smell!

the odor is from the overflow pipe on the collection cup of the skimmer, kinda hard to get rid of the smell of poop if you want it out of the tank....thanks though

Speaking of air quality, I am having my house painted and the wood floors redone. I am bit nervous about my tank. The painting went well, except the tank got a little cloudy when they sanded the walls. Now they are sanding the floors, The room with the tank is all separated by plastic, hopefully that keeps most of the dust out,. The staining comes next and I am told that really stinks...hopefully it won't affect the tank too much. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cover the tank with plastic! Powerheads and your main system pump will provide enough gas exchange. You dont want that dust in your tank.

Back