Air stone Yes or No?

blando

Reefing newb
Just wondering would you suggest air stones in saltwater aquarium? or just the filter and jet fine? Also i have 20 gallon tank what is a good protein skimmer i just dont feel like spending like 100 something dollars for skimmer for 20 gallon. Any ideas?

ok for the air stone yes you can put it in the tank and it should be ok. I dont because i dont really like the bubble look.
and air stone dos not put O2 in the water you need the serfice of the water to move a lot for that and bio balls and live rock in a wet dry trickel filter. but alwas keep a jet in the tank and you can run a filter aswell for better filtration.
for a 20 gallon tank you can get a biocube air stone for like 40 or 50 bucks and it is rated at 29 gallons and i have never had a problem with it.

see i got the biocube one before and u have to put the whole thing in the water i think..and how my top is it takes the whole stop part of the tank..so there is like couple inches of space..hard to explain i can take a picture here later...and air stone thanks because i dont like bubble either i just thought might help for the fish but if its not bringing any O2 in no point. i have jet and filtration in it so should be good.

You don't wan to use air stones in SW tanks. One, they will cause your pH to be irradic and two, the bubbles bursting at the waters surface will cause a ton of salt creep around your tank.

As for the skimmers, if you're going to run one I'd go with the Hydor Slim-skim or the Tunze 9002. They are both around or slightly over $100 but worth the money. I would suggest not wasting your money on airstone skimmers (like the JBJ or Biocube ones) because IME they're just not worth the money. And if you're not wanting to spend $100 for a skimmer then just don't get one. It's not needed to run a skimmer on nano tanks, live rock and water changes are more then enough filtration for them. I ran my 28g like that for almost 2 years without any issues.

i just thought to get skimmer so i could get nitrate down its low but not like low low.. i mean probably if i do get skimmer ill get 100 dollar one i mean already spent so much money on it to get the good stuff so might as well keep going all out.

yea which yea i kno lol i had 55 gallon before and this time i just went all out lol.. dang light fixture was like 130 lol.. but yea thought get skimmer to try keep nitrate down

sweetness with the skimmer witch one you get?
and you spent 130 bucks on lights? wow what kind of light????
I spent 100 for 3 225 LED hydroponic light panels
there 12.5 x 12.5 in and they are VARY bright.
I have one on my refuge and 2 on my tank.

im still debating on skimmer because id like it to be outside the ank and not take to much room inside ...fricken heater and filter does enough of taking up haha why i hate 20 gallon but i think so much easier to maintain. My light fixture has like LEDS and also two like high intense bulbs or whatever like the tube bulbs there bright but down the road going to change them..i want to get some nice bulbs to make everything pop more. i mean i like em and there are two switches u can have them all off so just LEDS are running or have one bulb running which is more fluorescent or the other one that is bright or have both running. i have both running.

ok i think i know what you are tanking about. it has blue leds and 2 T-5 HO (high output) bulbs. I had that on my tank and i switched it out for the hydroponic leds.
you can get 1 225 led panel with Blue/White leds for 39.99 with free shiping. i got mine on sale.
but there soo worth it.
one panel is 14 watts. and i have 3 and my corals LOVE the leds. they sprouted like crazy after.

NICE!! yea i want to get brighitng lights for the coral i mean look like they love it..its a nice light fixture. i need to get more coral.

Unfortunately, even if you get a HOB skimmer, there's still going to be a fairly large size pump in your tank to feed the skimmer.

yea ill check the Skimmer u suggested and take a look at them..the darn filter takes a good amount of room kinda of annoying lol

I bought my green zoa for 5 bucks
I got the Dragon eye in a trade
and for my monopora i gave 20 bucks for a 1x1 in piece
O do u live in CA? there is a Really Nice Skimmer for 100 bucks exactly.

Back