Algae and Nitrate Probs

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by picardoflik, Dec 13, 2014.

1. picardoflik

picardoflik

Had my 30 gallon for about 2 years now. I haven't been at this site for ages! I had a good go but recently I lost all my soft coral and anemone. My fish are doing fine. I have been having a bit of an algae problem since it is growing over my liverock and it pretty ugly to look at. I just tested my levels and my nitrates are way up.

I am looking to bring the algae down- I replaced my T5 lights and found that my actinic was burned out for awhile. The new lights are way brighter and I think that my lighting was part of the problem. I am going to run a phosphate reactor once I get it all set up. I changed my light schedule to shorten up the time the lights are on. I also am planning on replacing all the rough crushed coral bed I have always had with a sand bed.

Any ideas on reducing the algae and nitrates?

I could use some suggestions.
    Thanks

picardoflik, Dec 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. picardoflik

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

Water changes and cleaning substrate. No need for a reactor.

mariobrothersleeve, Dec 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. picardoflik

Ted Living one day at a time

I dont run a reactor but I started using chemi-pure elite when I had a bad algae out break. Took about two weeks but I have 0 hair algae now.

Ted, Dec 14, 2014
  4. picardoflik

picardoflik

Ok- thanks. What about cutting back on the feedings... say every other day. And some pretty aggressive water changes. What would that look like without endangering the tank?

picardoflik, Dec 14, 2014
  5. picardoflik

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

I have never reduced feedings on my fish. I feed 4 X's a day without risking water quality and having happy fish.

Good water quality= open rock work, water flow, and water changes. I like American (fat) reef fish!

mariobrothersleeve, Dec 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question