Algae and Phosphates

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Does anyone test for phosphates on a regular basis? Is there always a correlation between phosphate levels and the growth of algae? Also, has anyone had success with the phosphate filter pads or with "marine algaefix"?

I've used both the pads and then the Phosban reactor. Even with those, i still found algae in my tank.
Algae, at least the bad one, seems to thrive in tanks with a lot of nutrients and/or light.
I really don't test for phosphates because the test kits (Salifert, Red Sea, IO, etc) don't seem to give you the right measure of phosphates in your tank, i noticed a huge difference from measuring it with that and then have it measured at a LFS, so i don't bother anymore.

I have the phosphate test kit but rarely ever check.Algae can use it up before it even becomes detectible.I think the phosphate pads sucks....I use the media type like Chemipure Elite and Dr.F&S phosphate media.

I havent tested for phosphates. I try to keep the nutrients low and maintain the regular water changes and the algae after 8 months or so has completely disappeared....I feel relieved!

Of course coralline is a diffrent story!

Phosphate is just one of the nutrients need by algae. It is one of the easiest to control however. RO waret, DI water or better RODI water is the easiest control measure, however not the cheapest. Kalkwasser cheaply insures precipitation of phospates in supply and make up water, the most common source of phosphates. Feeding can supply phosphates, especially some of the frozen foods, therefore pre thaw frozen foods and only feed the particles. Excess charcoal use can supply phosphates. I use RODI water, Kalkwasser and Drs. Foster and Smith phosphate media for phosphate control. I have to depend on biological filtration to control the algae nutriebt nitrogen and use plenty of circulation and I choose to not consider my intense lighting into the algae equation as the lighting is a necessity.

Phosphate test kits aren't really necessary, as they'll still read 0 even if you have phosphate problems. Phosphate stays in the water column for less than 7 seconds before it's taken up by algae, so it's being consumed as quickly as it's being produced, so it won't show up on a test kit even at problematic levels.

It does not hurt to run phosphate removal media periodically, especially if you are having algae problems.

Back