Algae and Water Source

snyderju

Reefing newb
When my GF and I started this tank about 6 months ago we made the rookie mistake of using water from the tap. We had bad diatom and hair algae because of it. Because we rent I can't really install an RO/DI system the way I would want to so we started getting water from our LFS which is not so local (about a 30 minute drive). I swear our algae was getting even worse! I saw with my own eyes their RO/DI system however and convinced myself it was not the water source causing the algae and never tested the water they were giving us. For about the last 2 and a half weeks I have been getting RO water from the grocery store self serve station because I didn't have a chance to run to our LFS. I did one water change and a whole lot of top offs with this water and our algae was receding. The diatoms were not so dark colored and the hair algae seemed to be getting better as well. I didn't put 2 and 2 together so this last week I got water from the LFS and did my normal water change. The next day the algae was back in full force! after 2 days of topping of will the RO from the grocery store again and doing a 20% water change with it the algae is getting better again... I guess the algae in their tanks should have been an indicator. I guess I won't be using water from them anymore. Whatever though the grocery store water is 5 cents cheaper anyways and a 2 minute drive away!

When I was curious about installing an RO/DI unit he took me and showed me his setup and I asked how often he changed every filter and he changed them all every couple weeks because of the large amount of water they use. I wonder if they ever test their RO/DI water with a TDS meter. I wish I had one now so I could test the rest of the water from them I have. My nitrates and phosphates never really increased when using their water so it has to be something else. Woke up this morning and the algae hasnt spread at all and that is only one 20% water change and three top offs later.

You can get a TDS meter for super cheap (less than $10) on Ebay if you are really interested in testing it. Get the calibration fluid too. :)

Back