algae blenny not eating

poolshark181

Reefing newb
my algae blenny isnt eating any of the mysis i drop into the tank. right now im just pouring it in at the top and letting it drift down. ive had him for 3 days now. all he does is just swim from hiding place to hiding place, sticking his head out. it's cute, but im worried he might starve? theres plenty of hair algae for him to eat though, so he might be nipping at that when im not looking. any suggestions? thanks

Do you mean a lawnmower blenny? They don't really eat hair algae. They eat more of the brown algae off the glass, it seems. You can try feeding him a dried seaweed sheet, mine loves those.

ALot of lawnmowers wont eat anything other than algaes in the tank. My first one only ate algae and ended up starving after a while, but my new one eats algae and mysis.

Hurray research. A Lawnmower blenny isn't going to eat much besides algae (and if it does it's not meeting it's nutritional requirements).

my parameters are good, only bad thing is phosphates are .5

the dried seaweed sheets? you mean like the nori i use to make sushi rolls? it says roasted seaweed nori on the bag, is that safe?

Last edited:
i read up on it somewhere else and said that roasted seaweed is fine too. anyway, he didnt eat any of it. though my hermits swarmed it, they're still munching on it.

Back