algae bloom

reefer2b

Reefing newb
How long can they last? I'm pretty sure that's what's causing my tanks cloudiness. It gets worse than starts to get better then gets cloudy again. It started a few days before I put the fish in; I thought it was all the micro air bubbles making it look cloudy. I posted a pic in the tank forum.
My tank is 23 days and I've never had any readings on my tests or the LFS's tests. I've had 2 fish for 11 days now; their doing great. I also have 3 astraea snails, 2 nassarius snails (which I rarely see) and 3 hermit crabs (I also rarely see them). I also added a cleaner shrimp on Fri. ( I caught Biff's post on not to do that for a month after cycling after I'd already had him for a few days) It molted today though and seems to be doing fine and my fish love to fight over him.
I did a water change last Ths. and cleaned some of the sand and have cleaned the filter 2x, the last being on Sat. (it was fithly too; I might go for 2x a week for now) The diatoms have pretty much gone away and I noticed some hair algae a few days ago on my LR, the astraea snails took care of it. They won't leave the rocks and clean the class which is where I want them to clean.
I've cut back on the lights to help with the green algae. Other than that do I just wait for the water to clear up and keep cleaning the filter?

Try leaving the lights off for 3 or 4 days and see if that clears it up.
Might also be a good time to try some Marine SAT.

I dont think the cloudiness is linked to the algae unless maybe the algae was dying off. But i could be wrong.

Im sure the snails will eventually get to the glass. I clean my glass on a weekly basis. Even if they do start on the glass, they will still leave plenty of uneaten stuff...so if you're in the middle of a major algae boom, im assuming every few days its coming back...so make sure you keep cleaning your glass. That hard green algae will be extremely hard to remove if it keeps growing.

I also suggest maybe increasing your water changes for a few weeks only...probably twice per week will suffice (5%).

I clean the front glass and get to as much as can on the back. I should've left more room between the wall and the tank but didn't think about that at the time.:grumble:
I just got more RO/SW at the LFS yesterday so I plan to clean the fitler again tomorrow and put clean water back into it. I didn't have any on Saturday and the LFS was out so I filtered the water intsead. Would that count as a 5% water change since it hold over a gallon of water?

Back