Algae covering my sand

jeddy576

Reefing newb
For a few weeks now there has been red algae that covers my sand. I have a few sand sifters but it dosnet help. Does anyone know of anything i can do? Thank You

Are your nitrates high?if so try to lower. For the slime you'll have to syphon out with a syphone tool from the lfs,or turky baster for smaller jobs,but you only need to skim the top of the bed try not to disturb the bed to much.hope this helps

Most new tanks will get cyno bacteria.Do agree that high nitrates will make the stuff grow out of control along with phosphates.Have a look at the articles pages for extra help.Also chemi-clean will help temporally remove it

Are you sure its slime? How new is the tank. It could be diatoms, if the tank is still new. Mine is at least 2 montsh old, and I just started getting diatoms maybe a week ago. My nitrates are 20, but I still get them lol. My hermits on working overtime though since its gone every morning.

Things that will never hurt when trying to control algea.

1) Do you have good flow?
2) Do you use RO water or tap water when making new saltwater?
3) Purchase a Phosban reactor cheap and though I don't have one have seen people that struggled with the very same issue that praise this 50 dollar piece of equipment.

Hope this helps
Brandon

Back