Algae/Diatom Situation

In addition to slowing down and letting your tank go through a full cycle, I'd also try to bring your temp down a few degrees. 81 is on the high side. Speaking from personal experience, I've found it very hard to regulate temp in my 10g and even a few degrees variation over the course of a day can really wreck havoc in a tiny tank. Not sure how much of a swing you are seeing through the course of the day, but I'd aim to bring the temp down to 78 and try to hold it there. And better to do that now while you are cycling than after you've got livestock in.

Yeah Fishy I am pretty sure it swings from about 79 to 81 between night and day. Any ideas on regulating this? I don't have a heater going.

I am using a Marineland Reef Capable LED 18-24"
Regardless of the room temperature, I have to cancel out the heat coming from the LEDs.. or I will always have a temp difference between night and day.

Last edited:
After looking at my tank again last night, I am not so sure it is the LED light as it is the room temperature fluctuation.

I'm going to ask my grandparents if they are changing the thermostat during the day. The AC definitely get's kicked on more at night it seems... and my temp drops as a result. Either way it's varying my tank temp by a couple degrees.

Back