Algae due to light?

Redsprint

Reefing newb
Hi,

Just upgraded to 6x54ati tubes from 7cheaper tubes. They are about twice as intense but now I get algae on the glass every day. Is that normal? Before I only got noticeable algae after four days.

I leave a purple plus and blue plus on for seven hours and the other four for five hours.

Water tests show it is not a water quality issue.

Any help appreciated.

Paul

is this flourescent lighting? if so that is probably why. i would reccomend getting at least power compact or t5. they have a higher k rating usually and are more intense so that usually keeps the algae away. also you should point a powerhead at your problem areas and that should help a ton as well.

is this flourescent lighting? if so that is probably why. i would reccomend getting at least power compact or t5. they have a higher k rating usually and are more intense so that usually keeps the algae away. also you should point a powerhead at your problem areas and that should help a ton as well.

They are T5 bulbs.

Anytime you replace bulbs you should shorten your photo period and work it back up gradually. Especially with bulbs of a much better performance rating like the ATI bulbs over what was originally installed.

Great. I will do that. Maybe two hours on full power and the rest of the time the purple plus and blue plus alone then work up over a couple of weeks? Yes t5.

The fish seem rather startled by the full power too. Though that may be my imagination.

Back