algae from scrubber

Uhhh, i dont suggest it, it might cause a few problems i would have thought. Thats just my opinion though! :)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. The algae from the scrubber should be full of excess nutrients that you want to remove from your system, probably not good nutrients that you want your fish to eat.

According to Santa Monica's FAQ you can take a little bit off when you're cleaning the screen to feed them.

Thanks BL, I knew I read it somewhere.
I don't have any algae eating fish now, but I'd like to get a foxface or yellow tang soon. My scrubber is working pretty well, and I don't really have any algae growing (that I can see) for them to graze on.

Yea, I read it on his site but, I can't seem to find it again. My foxface doesn't seem to like the algae that grows on my screen but, all fish are different.

If you algae eaters will pick at hair algae then i think they would like to eat the stuff on the scrubber. But i would be concerned about the stuff floating away in the tank and having more float away to rot instead of being eaten.

The algae that grows on the scrubber isn't "special" or superconcentrated. If you have fish that like/need veggies (like tangs or foxfaces), algae is an important part of their diet. Obviously, feeding them the algae will recycle some of the exported nutrients back in the system, but no more than feeding them algae foods from an external source.

Personally, though, I wouldn't give them hair algae off of it, just because it's a lot messier to feed them with. A lot of it will get scattered and stay in the tank. Caluerpa is easier, because it's big pieces that don't really break apart.

Back