algae has me ready to pack it in!!!

koralias don't seem like they put out a large flow because it's over a large area which is what you want where as maxi-jets are a directed jet unless you do the mod to change that. either way maxi-jet or koralia i think you end up spending more (unless you can find all the parts for under $20) for the maxi-jet and to mod it than you do for the koralia but the moded maxi's put out more flow too i think.

Yeah, I thought about that too, and I'd rather just add a third powerhead, I just don't know how to run carbon and phosguard without the biowheel. I don't have a sump or fuge, the only place would be to run it through the skimmer somehow

Can you run a refugium or a sump? I'd put some cheatomorpha macroalgae in either of those if you have any way to do it.

Also gotta agree with Fatman on the DSB. 1" is only giving you aerobic bacteria. You need at least 4" and 6" is a helluva lot better. That depth will help with growth of anaerobic bacteria. Once you get those growing deep down in the sandbed--your all set to get rid of the nitrates. Combine DSB and Cheato and you will have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. You'll be eating snails for dinner just to keep them from starving in the tank. :mrgreen:

what kind of lights and how old are bulbs, bad light spectrum can cause algae problems and get a tds meter or find someone who has one and test your ro water. make sure you have enough flow in tank just enough to move sand a little and surface water is mixed up good for gas exchange. what kind of skimmer do you use and cut your lights back some if you have to i run actinics for 10 to 12 hours and all the lights for only 5 to 6 hours. Once a week i only run actinics cause you know it isn't always sunny in the ocean helps with algae growth and power bill to. Since this year i added sumps with a refugium in each under both my tanks with better skimmers not hang on models and finally no algae since i've started this hobby. try using something other than phosguard i switch back and forth from phosban(iron oxide) to phosguard(aluminum oxide). also your sig shows a 46 gal bowfront how many fish do you have in there and hopefully your not using dt's and if so use very little for some reason people using dt's had problems with hair algae also. we need a check list of what all you got as far as equipment, filtration, food, and stock in your tank so we can find out what is causing your algae problems cause you should have to use phosphate removers or carbon all the time its actually not good to use constantly.

my remora pro worked better for me using a bigger pump instead of rio 1400 i used a rio 2500. that one thing about the remora hang on skimmers that makes them not so great, to small of pump. i would add a maxi jet 1200 and put on maxi jet in one corner and the other in the other corner and korali in mid are of tank blowing straight maybe upward a bit, plus angle the maxi jets a little toward middle with flow plate upwards a bit, thats how i had in my 29 gallon and did awesome for surface agitation and movement throughout tank.

if you have enought power in lights i've seen this work for a few people add a clam or 2 they filter feed nitrates, something easy like crocea since they don't get big anyway, seen a lady add a big deresa clam to her 180 gallon cause local reefer told her it would help and couldn't believe it but her tank was purple as can be with no algae.

koralias don't seem like they put out a large flow because it's over a large area which is what you want where as maxi-jets are a directed jet unless you do the mod to change that. either way maxi-jet or koralia i think you end up spending more (unless you can find all the parts for under $20) for the maxi-jet and to mod it than you do for the koralia but the moded maxi's put out more flow too i think.

You can get the sure flow kits for about 15+/- gotta be used on Maxi 900s and bump the circulation to 2100gph.

Back