algae help

Lanzo

LAN
hey

I need some help about algae, i have this red wine colour algae on most of my liverock and growing rapidly.:pooh:
It started growing 2 months now, an it won't stop.
Before that itwas the normal green algae.

the red algae is probaly cyanobacteria. good flow across the rocks and good areation of the water will normally get rid of it pretty quick.

I can't even get it off proparly with a toothbrush, and i placed a peace of rock close to the outlet of a power head and it doesn't seem to go away( 3weeks now).What ealse can i try?
do you think it is cyanobacteria? how does it look like?

i suggest you go yo the "helpful articles" section at the top of you screen. There are plenty of algae articals that can help you ID your algae

Yeah if it's hard and purpleish, that's coralline and that's good. If you have coralline on a rock, it makes it harder for other types of algae to establish themselves.

Have you tested your water parmeters? It would help us help you if you post the reading for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,phosphate,and PH.
Also what are you using to feed?Frozen,flakes,pellets?
What do you for live stock? Fish and corals.
If we had the answer to these it would help.

It's not coraline algae it's soft,looks like small pieces of cotten on the rock.
parameters:
PH 8.2
nitrate 2.5ppm
nitrite 0ppm
amonia 0.15ppm
cal 700ppm(too high and can't get it down, maybe my test kit is old)
phos ???(don't have kit for it)
S.G 1.0245
ALK 3.5(meq/L)
KH 10
temp 26C

How can i place a pic on the forum??
And how do i change the flag next to my name??

I replaced my ligthing system( 2 T8's and 2 T5's) with 2 metal halide's (10000K each). I did this a week ago.

I am also using a eco aqualiser.

it could be some type of spounge if it's soft. to post pics download them to your'e photogallery. then copy and past the bb code to the thread.

P1050016.JPG

Looks like red hair algae.
Try running some phos-ban,step up your water changes,cut back on feedings,and got a week with the lights off.

not cyano. do you have any Mexican turbo snails? they LOVE algae. get 1 per 10 gallons of tank. the clean up all of that hair algae crap. After acclimating them, go ahead and place them right on the rocks you want cleaned and they do a great job in a matter of hours.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I got one of those sea hares, Let me tell you it eats non stop. But if you do get one and it eats all the algae you'll have to feed it sea weed. That's what they told me at the LFS.

Back