algae help

It's not coraline algae it's soft,looks like small pieces of cotten on the rock.
parameters:
PH 8.2
nitrate 2.5ppm
nitrite 0ppm
amonia 0.15ppm
cal 700ppm(too high and can't get it down, maybe my test kit is old)
phos ???(don't have kit for it)
S.G 1.0245
ALK 3.5(meq/L)
KH 10
temp 26C

How can i place a pic on the forum??
And how do i change the flag next to my name??

I replaced my ligthing system( 2 T8's and 2 T5's) with 2 metal halide's (10000K each). I did this a week ago.

I am also using a eco aqualiser.

Just a question from from the parameters of the water it shows signs of ammonia but no nitrite is that possible.?:question:

For the 18 months that my tank is running, I have never ever had a reeding of nitrite above 0. My amonia was at a time 0.50 and nitrite 0.
I graf all of my readings.
Is there something wrong?

Lanzo
I think thats just in your test kit for ammonia.If you'd went 18 months with ammonia actually in the tank,you would have a lot more problems then just algae.

So my test kits is maybe old and "kak" that's Afrikaans word for Shit.
For a student reef keeping is very very expen....
If my Ca reading is that high,what can i do to lower it.
Thanks for all your help yote!!!!!!

There are 2 ways to lower calcium.
My personal choice is to stock the tank with small polyp stonie corals.They eat calcium pretty quick.

But you would probably be better off just doing water changes.Have your fish store double check your readings for calcium before you worry about it though.Calcium wont hurt anything in your tank unless it gets so high that it starts precipating(sp?) out of the water.Then it will burn your fish and corals,wear out your power heads and pumps,and generally make a mess out things.

my test kit will read .25 on new salt water.
There are 2 types of ammonia - free ammonia and ammonium. Free ammonia is what burns the fish's gills. Fish will come to the surface and gulp air when the ammonia is high. Ammonium is always present and is harmless. Most test kits will show a minimum amount of ammonia and what you're reading is actually ammonium. Once your tank is established, your test should read zero or a trace depending on the test kit and further testing is unnecessary. Sources of ammonia are dead corals, dead fish and OVER FEEDING.
Again work cited from SeaHorse Aquarium Supply

Back