Algae ID

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
Please help me ID this nasty algae that's hard to get rid of.

Dinos? Cyano? Diatoms?

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

Thanks Biff! I do have 1045GPH in my 29G tank but unfortunately those areas get the least flow in my tank. Think I'll put the tip back on my return which directs the flow. I got a fighting Conch but he has been staying on the opposite side of the tank. Also got about 40 Nass. snails but seems like a lot have died and the others don't touch the stuff. If I get more desperate I'll cut back the lights but hate to do that since everything else looks so much better with lights on. Still, just glad to hear it's not dino's so paranoid about that stuff. lol

I picked up my fighting conch and moved him to that side of the tank and he's eaten up quite a bit. :mrgreen: What's a good way to suck it up during water changes? I always try to suck it up with my siphon hose during my weekly water changes a little bit actually goes thru but for the most part it just flys around the tank. Seems as if there isn't enough suction for it to be very efficient.

I am assuming you use an aquarium syphon like this,
Python Gravel washer and Syphon

If so, you can take the larger plastic tube off and just use the smaller tubing. It will create stronger suction, just a smaller area or efectiveness. Kind of like holding your thumb over the end of a garden hose but in reverse:D

Yup, it's just like that. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try it out this weekend when I do my water change.

I have/had that stuff in my tank as well. After reading what everyone has to say, I turned one of my power heads toward the front of the tank for increased circulation acress the front of the tank. Even if it doesn't help get rid of the cyano, the Picasso Trigger and the female Clown seem to really like the flow change. The trigger gets himself in the flow and uses it like jet propulsion.

Thanks for all the input. I attached the thing that directs the flow on my return pump and after almost all of it came out with ease during my next water change. It practicaly flew off the sand on its own with the extra flow. :mrgreen:

Just an FYI for anyone with cyano, turning off your lights will not affect it. It's not a type of algae but a bacteria. Just cyphon it out and do a couple of more larger water changes, waterflow increase helps as well. Worked for me after dealing with it on and off for about 3 months.

Back