Algae identification Help!

galonso52

Reefing newb
I have some sort of white/clear film slime algae mat growing on one of my live rocks but I can't get it to come out on any pictures at least visibly anyway. I first noticed it about two weeks ago and it has grown pretty quickly so now it concerns me but I don't know if its good or bad. I was searching but I couldn't find any good websites showing images of different algae's to help me identify it. As you can see its difficult to describe(white, clear, film, slime, mat) especially without a good picture.:frustrat: Can someone give me a list of good websites to look at it for identification?

Can you come up with a better description. its hard to know what "white/clear film slime algae mat" is. My best guess some kind of sponge but i could be wrong.

Reeffreak, I noticed last night a few small white dots that look like bubbles trap in it. I will try to get a good picture of it tonight and post it here. It doesn't really look like any of those pictures.

dinoflagellates.jpg

Dino's occasionally bloom in reef aquaria, and they can be toxic to invertebrates and fish. They form nearly colorless to rust brown or green gelatinous mats and films that trap oxygen bubbles. They can also be present in large numbers in the water column and on the surface of the water during a bloom. They coat bare surfaces so quickly that it is futile to siphon them off."

I've been trying to build a HH'er website: http://www.naperenterprise.com/HH.htm

I was finally able to take a decent picture of it. Let me know what you think becuase I don't think its dinoflagellates because its on the rock that has plenty of coraline on it and the bubbles are very micro. I also found this little guy in my sump bioballs compartment. I think its a sea urchin but he must be a hitchiker from something.Let me know what you think I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Sponge.jpg
    Sponge.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,550
  • Urchin.jpg
    Urchin.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,924
The pic in the bio-balls,looks more like an aiptasia anemone to me.But make double sure before you go to killing it.

The picture does look like a sponge to me as well.Touch it,if its feels spongey than that is what it is.If it feels rough and hard,possibly a porite coral.You definitely don't have dinoflagellate,thankfully.

Does the thing move in the second pic?Looks like a urchin so if it's moving then most likely what it is.The bioballs can't be submerged,I don't think an aiptasia would look so open out of water.

I just went in and touched it must be a sponge. What a relief because I was already starting to worry. Thanks to everyone here I can sleep well at night again. LOL

The thing in the second picture does move around so I think it is an urchin. He must have been a hitch hiker from the mushrooms that I last purchases. Should I put him in my refugium or just throw him in my main tank. What do you think? I have been reading that the refugium is the best place for them since they are not really reef safe.

I'd put my :twocents: at the white stuff being a sponge. I have the same stuff on a few rocks the my sump.

I have a Long Spined Urcin in my Main Display, other than knocking some of the frags over he does bother them.

I've got it white & yellowish in color on my rocks in my sump. It takes over the whole rock. I figure since it's a filter feeder and in the sump, I don't care. Don't know if I'd want it in my MD tho.

The little urchin could go in your tank or fuge. They do tend to like to eat coralline though, so if you are trying to get coralline on your glass and rocks, you may want to keep him in the fuge.

but if you put it in the fuge wouldnt it eat all the macro algae in there, therefore defeating the purpose of macro algae in the fuge

Back