Algae in DT for tangs to eat

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
I was looking at reef cleaners and they have algae plants, which I know most people use in the refuge. Has anyone add some of the nicer looking ones like dragon's tongue or red gracilaria to let your tangs graze on?

I would keep some in my refuge and be able to swap them out. I do this for our tortoise with the grass we grow for him.

I realize that I would need to also feed algae sheets.

Thanks,
Angie

I am trying to accomplish a few of things with this idea.
1. Make it easier for neighbor when I be gone for a couple of days. Some people don't like to handle soggy seaweed sheets.
2. Avoid ripped pieces of seaweed flying through the tank.
3. Give my kole tang, and perhaps a future yellow tang, a variety.
Thanks,
Angie

I have a refugium full of caulerpa. Not sure if tangs are supposed to eat it or not, but my tang still eats it. When I was out of town for a few days, I just got a small rock with some caulerpa growing on it and put it in my DT, that way, I can let the tang have algae while stilling having plenty left in my fuge.

Keeping it in your fuge will help. :) That way you can pick off a piece here or there when you want to feed it to the fish but still have a healthy stock growing. I've fed my fish gracilaria and ulva (lettuce algae) and they loved both.

Back