Algae on glass in the sand area

Tristan

Detritus
There is algae growing on the glass where the sand is. there's no algae on top of the sand, though. anyone know what would cause this and how to remove it?

Welcome to the algae club!

I use a Mag Float everyday on my tank to remove any algae build up on my glass. Can't think of what it's called but a Mod will chime in and know.

Like, under the sand? In other words, on the glass but below the surface of the sand?
I don't do anything about that. This is why I don't like deep sand beds in the display tank. Only think you can really do is use one of those razor blade on a stick things and try to jam it down in there best you can. But be careful because you'll kick up a lot of junk doing that.

Here's a picture
12631_224551805475_537480475_4586388_1405777_n.jpg

That's normal if you have sand in your tank. Nothing you can do about it really, and it's not hurting anything. Some nassarius snails to stir up the sandbed will help.

how about those sand sifting gobies? do they help?

Would the algae eventually turn all my sand brown?

Last edited:
It's trapped detritus and stuff under the surface of the sand. You just get a window to it all, like those ant farm things when you're a kid. A diamond goby or something helps keep the top of the sand nice and white, but nothing you can do about the stuff down under.

Back