Algae on surface of water?

plo

Reefing newb
I have a question to anyone that can help. I have a film of algae (of some kind) on the surface of the water in my tank. I have a canister filter and I'm thinking of going back to a hang on filter (probably an aquaclear). Does any one know why this film is formed? Is it normal? how do i get rid of it?
adios
plo

several reasons for the skimate on the water surface, not enough circulation through out the tank and surface, and not an adequate amount of surface extraction. CHECK OUT MAIL ORDER SITES MARINE DEPOT, DR. FOSTER AND SMITH, OUR SPONSORS, PREMIUM AQUATICS, ETC. THERE ARE SURFACE EXTRACTORS FOR CANISTER FILTERS. SUGGEST YOU GET ONE OF UM. GOOD LUCK. KEEP US POSTED.

its problem because lack of circulation of the surface water add a power head to your tank and point up this will take care of your problem or add a surface skimmer both are very cheap

do agree with the above also do use a protein skimmer is so try moving the pump higher or raise the skimmer(depends on the type) so it pulls more from the top

Back