Algae on the Side of Tank

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
The brown algae that keeps growing on the side of my tank is really a pain.

Will if always grow on the sides?

Ways to get rid of it?

I do have snails

What kind and how many snails do you have? It's normal for a new tank and usally goes away over time. Mine did and I haven't had any since. My snails do a really good job at keeping my tank clean.

There's not much you can do about.You can clean it with a magfloat cleaner.
Try running some carbon or chemipure on occasion....maybe for a week or two once a month.If you don't have any light intensive corals than try reducing the light cycle a bit.Maybe 8hrs instead of 12hrs.

A UV will definitely work but I can't recommend one on a 12g nano.

Astraea Snails, and Margaritas

Not sure how many I have exactly right now, but maybe around 8 each.

I have 72 watts of T-5 on for 10 hrs a day.

My tank is 2 1/2 months old.

It should slow down if you improve your water quality. Try running some phosphate removal media too. Usually, the snails will take care of the glass, and it sounds like you have more than enough snails.

You might just have to wait it out, this sounds about right for a tank that's only a couple months old, unfortunately :(.

Turbos will just starve to death.The diatom/brown algae on the glass will not sustain them so back to what I originally suggested.You can try some Chemipure or carbon and just ride it out.As the system matures,its a good possibility that it will get better.Also,if you don't have light intensive corals than maybe run the lights 6hrs instead of 10.The corals would be okay too if you just leave the lights off for a couple of days too.

dont you feel the need for at least 1 turbo will be needed as it is almost inevitable that there well be algae for it to eat. almost every system will have it. but i do understand your reasoning. very good i didnt think about it. yes and i agree with lights out. I have heard it helps, though i have never tried it myself

Back