Algae or something?

Jschoon

Reefing newb
I have two things taking over my tank. :frustrat: One is bubble algae. I have tried several emeralds but they don't seem to want to touch it and they do not live very long. The other is in the pic. I have no idea what it is and I keep pulling it out and it keeps coming back.

Attachments

• PA080266.jpg
    PA080266.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 227
That in the pic is caulerpa.It can take over a tank,so its good that your pulling it out.But you'll probably have to remove your rock to be able to get at the runners to ever kill it out completely.
For the bubble algae,just remove it by hand.You'll have to be extra careful not to pop the bubbles though.But they'll usually come loose fairly easy.

Tonight during my water change I pulled out a few rock and scrubbed them and pulled off the bubbles and the runners. I have about 50% cleaned. I was going to monitor and clean the rest next week. Only problem is the remaining rock has my polyps (sp?) growing on them. Might I have to sacrifice them? Should I try adding more snails and a few more emeralds? Sometimes I feel like I am wasting money there...

Joe

You can take that rock out and scrub around the polyps with a tooth brush. Do it in the used tank water. Just be a bit gentle around the polyps and you will be fine.

Back