Algae outbreak

TBrewerton

Reefing newb
Ok so a quick question, theres quite a bit of algae thats broken out on the rocks in my tank, some of it is red/brown and very long (im guessing hair algae) and the rest is very pale almost white and short but kinda has a similar look to the red. It almost looks like the red stuff but shorter and is covered in white powder (could be from moving stuff around it may have just picked up all the fine sand dust)

All my parameters are perfect as far as i can tell..

Ammonia 0
Nitrate less than 10
Ph ~8
Phosphate 0
Salt 1.025

I have my lights on from 10am - 7pm each day.

My gut says its just another phase of the tank "setteling" since it is still only around 1 month old. Last time I did a water change I tried syphoning some of it off the rock but all it did was stir up the tank and piss off the clowns. It didn't want to budge.

Is there any advice anyone has? Or should I just carry on my regular maintenance and wait it out?

well when my tank was about 1 month old i had crazy algae problems and the water test seemed pretty good, in my guess it is another phase or if u stirred the sand up before it was probably that causing everything to go out of whack

The sand was stirred, but this started before that, and the levels stayed the same after stirring it up, I was freaking out so monitored it closely.

well diatoms would be my next best guess as well....i had lots of that during and after the cycling of my tank.. with water changes it cleared up in time.
if you dont have any coral yet or anything that needs light them i would suggest turning the lights off for a couple of days. my lfs told me to do that. i believe other ppl have tried this as well and it worked fine.

my gut feeling is that its just a phase

just keep doing regular water changes and it should get better...
ps have good flow in your water as well that was also a problem that started to give me algae due to dead spots in the tank.

Back