Algae, Phosphates & Test Kits

Discussion in 'Algae' started by joeman, Sep 3, 2007.

1. joeman

joeman MorphingSquid

So having recently had a Hair Algae problem, I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject.... what seems common knowledge is that Algae need three main ingredients to thrive:
    1) Nitrates
    2) Phosphates
    3) Light
    My Algae problem began following a house move, which gave rise to a small cycle and a Nitrate Peak.
    I brought the Nitrates down to zero and kept them there with a De-Nitrator. I tested the water daily and saw Nitrates and Phosphates at a consistent zero - but the algae continued to grow!!!
    I tried turning the lights off of a day but that didn't seem to make much of a difference, and I didn't want to keep them off for a longer period of time...
    I puzzled over what might be feeding it...
    The only real option (if all the literature was correct ) was photsphates, so I introduced a bag of PhosBan.
    Two weeks later the algae is almost gone - just transparent filaments where it used to be :bounce:
    So: if you have algae and yet your water tests tell you your water is perfect, it's probably because the algae is doing it's job :frustrat:

joeman, Sep 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. joeman

Bifferwine I am a girl

Exactly. Phosphate stays in the water column for only 6 seconds before it's taken up by algae. So if your test is reading 0 for phosphate, yet you're still having algae problems, it's likely that the algae is eating it up as quickly as it is produced.

Bifferwine, Sep 3, 2007
    joeman likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. joeman

winyfrog Yep!

I will second Biff.

winyfrog, Sep 3, 2007
    joeman likes this.
  4. joeman

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I'll go 3rd.

yote, Sep 3, 2007
    joeman likes this.
  5. joeman

reeffreak

I go 4th.
    Remember algae is actually beneficial.We just don't like what it looks like,well at least in the main tank.

reeffreak, Sep 3, 2007
    joeman likes this.
  6. joeman

Doc I don't work for anybody

Damn Biff, you are smart. Everyone else always agrees with you. You must be some biology super-nerd or something!!!

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Doc, Sep 3, 2007
  7. joeman

Bifferwine I am a girl

Actually, yes. I am a TOTAL bio-nerd. I try my hardest to be cool around "normal" people, but damn, you put me in a group with a bunch of other scientist and you guys would FREAK OUT about what a giant dork I really am!!

Even if I am a bio-nerd, I still cannot hold a candle to Yote's life-smarts and Freak's technical smarts and your intuition and common sense, though. All of which I am lacking to some degree, and am trying to work on!

Bifferwine, Sep 3, 2007
  8. joeman

Doc I don't work for anybody

nah, you are the total package. I can see the bloom of common sense from here. Not to mention I had to pay $90,000 and almost 10 years of my life for my "intuition". If you can get it faster and cheaper than I, clearly you will end up being much smarter than I in the long run.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Doc, Sep 3, 2007
  9. joeman

Bifferwine I am a girl

Boys -- you hear that?? Biffy is single now!! And she is the total package, LOL.

Bifferwine, Sep 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question