Algae Problem in 30 Gallon!

Triple post! I went to the store and got hermits,sand cleaner/water change,and a test. My Parameters are perfect. 0 nitrates and every thing. When I got home I did a 3 gallon water change (that's how much the RO makes) and put 6 hermits in. They told me to change my lighting since everything else is good. Now I am putting the PCs on for 8 hours. No t5s. They used to be on for around 11-12.

I hate not having money. I Only have 25.50$ right now after the pet store. THere is soo many things I still want/need.

algae really sucks... i have a bunch of cyano in my tank and it seems the more water changes i do, the more the algae grows, but i just got my sump tested and working so ill be setting that up with some cheato in there and hopefully that will help

I write down everything.

EX,Fish supplies/24.50$/25.50+10+125$/August 20th, 2009

I put it on a microsoft word and update it every day. I save every penny. Money that anyone owes me I write it down so I don't forget. I actually have 25.50$ in change, My dad owes me 10$,and my mom owes me 125$. My Ex-girlfriends owe me 300$, JK I would never do that.

Last edited:
Did you test your phosphates when you did your tests? Or was it the standard PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate set?

Good news. I have cut down my lighting and have been cleaning the algea. I haven't clened my tank for a week and it is looking great! I will take pictures soon. Also I am still using pellets. Another thing, The snowstorm knocked out my power and my brain coral got hurt pretty bad and is recovering slowly.

My tank looks even better now. I made a plexiglass top! It looks good. I also moved my NEW heater and toke out the protein skimmer because I don't think it was needed in such a small tank.

The plexiglass hood is safer than that old cut-up eggcrate as you see above. It also makes my tank soo much quieter, The hood also save money and time because there is a lot less salt and water getting out. I will take pictures tommorow as well to show some progress.

Have you increased the water level since you took out the skimmer? Thats a nice looking fish you have there. :D

Back