Algae problem

Not real sure. Did you read the threads I posted for you? I know Brian said that BRS sells a kit. I also know that Ambersunrise built one. Try asking her where she got her material.

Change your bulbs, and step up your water changes. If the algae seems to grow in particular spots in the tank, increase the flow to those parts of the tank.

Many foods are high in phosphates, what are you feeding and how often?

Change your bulbs, and step up your water changes. If the algae seems to grow in particular spots in the tank, increase the flow to those parts of the tank.

Many foods are high in phosphates, what are you feeding and how often?

I know im changing it soon and i do water change weekly, it grows all over the tank , i feed mysis shrimp the cube type , i feed twice a week tuesday and thursday

Also, you are already running a protein skimmer, so no need to run a scrubber. You need to find, and fix the source of your algea (which I'm betting are your old bulbs, and Mysis).

No, I wouldn't say you feed too much, just the wrong foods. Mysis is packed with phosphates. So what I am saying is choose a different food like emerald entree or Rods Food.

Start with the bulbs. From what I've read in this post I (like Fast) suspect that is your issue. Once those have been changed report back and let us know.

And Mysis once in a while is not bad, but I would vary up the diet a little bit, something like Emerald Entree or Formula I or II

6006663091_97d2d4c585_m.jpg

6006662705_db8975c986_m.jpg

6006663299_88c2a76382_m.jpg

6006663515_f4eba2b822_m.jpg

6006663733_bda5176c25_m.jpg

If you have a HOB filter I would say try getting some phosguard balls and put them in a filter sack and stick it in the filter. It will help suck out extra phosphates which is what the algae feeds on.

The photos look like Cyano. It was suggested several times by Fast and myself that you replace the bulbs in your lighting fixture.

It seems you were wandering away from the suggestions offered by Fast, Algae outbreaks really come down to a nutrient issue, you have too much of something that is allowing the algae to grow. There are several things that can cause this including:

1) Old Bulbs - as they age, they shift light output into the red spectrum which fuels nuisance algae growth
2)Nitrates / Phosphates - These will usually be the limiting nutrient in most fish tanks. If phosphates are high, it fuels algae growth. High Nitrates can also cause algae growth but high nitrates are usually limited by relatively low phosphates. If you're feed frozen food such as mysis, is it being rinsed before being added to your tank?
3)Low flow or dead spots - Many types of algae do not grow in areas with adequate flow. If there are areas in the tank where you're noticing algae growth try placing some additional powerheads in the tank to increase flow

From reading the thread, it really sounds like your bulbs are old and need to be replaced. Don't worry about screens for the tank (which wont do anything for algae) or algae scrubbers (since you have a protein skimmer)

Start by changing your bulbs and giving things a few days and report back.

And no, you cant run phosphate removal media in your protein skimmer, you need a reactor, HOB filter, canister filter, reactor, or sump to run that type of media.

I honestly would not worry about the media if the bulbs have not been changed. I fought cyano for months in my tank going through everything except changing my bulbs. As soon as the bulbs were changed, the algae died off literally overnight

Back