Algae problems exacerbated by strong lighting

:hernoseen LMAO Hudel, its nice to read your response, thanks for your service to our Nation by the way!

Your stand looks great! Did you build it?

I think the "css125 sucks" comment was meant more along the lines of "it's not good enough to only run it 10 hours a day" Skimming is your best defense against detritus and nitrates and though your skimmer isnt the best, I dont think anyone meant to imply that it's the worst either. I just think they were trying to convey to you that it will need to run 24/7 to be most effective. realize too that we all run our skimmers 24/7. Nobody is trying to imply that it's because yours is inadequite that it needs to run more, it's simply that skimmers are designed to run around the clock. I am confident that you will see an improvement in your water quality if you take my advice on the skimming. Also, don't rely on the decent water quality you get from your tap entirely, as those are just two readings of several that you should consider. For example, Chlorine, Copper, PH, etc. Your best bet is to stick to the TDS meter, get your fresh water as close to zero as possible, add your salt mix, test your levels and then suppliment if necessary. I hope this helps. Thanks for the pics, and keep us updated. Your tank is beautiful! I like your stand.

EDIT: I like your stand...TOO
Ryan your a super Ninja

Last edited:
Maybe there is a formula like:

( (Y*Phophates) + (X*Nitrates) ) * Lumens)) = total algae growth

I imagine spectrum would play into it.

I just see some very open questions on this board, and no attempt to give the needed information when it is asked.

I hope someone can prove my wrong here... but nowhere in this thread does he answer my question "how long is your photoperiod?".... that's question #1 I ask people when they say they have algae problems.

It would just be nice to get more information when trying to answer questions, since we like to able to give accurate answers. Afterall, you have to give the doctor some info on what's ailing you before he gives you a treatment plan. :twocents:

Most recommend a photo period of at least 8 hours but if your nitrates and phosphates get down to zero -the whole light-algae issue doesn't matter!

Most recommend a photo period of at least 8 hours but if your nitrates and phosphates get down to zero -the whole light-algae issue doesn't matter!

I beg to differ on that one.
We have to keep in mind,that our test kits will only read so low.After that its anybodies guess.But you give enough light and algae will use it to grow.The longer photoperoid will give it the extra time it needs to use what little nutrients it needs,

that's a great point yote! I have to admit, I was shocked at how short the photo period is in this hobby as I first started. I figured I could leave lights on to follow the suns true cycle...

Back