Algae question (green hair)

fasteddie

Reefing newb
Just like everyone said, I have green hair algae now that my brown algae has disapeared. I never thought to ask what to do about it. Well here I am now with a thin 1/2" layer of it on just one piece of rock. I turned my lights off and plan on leaving them off for the next few days, been using algaefix, and bought a green lettuce nudibranch. Is there anything I can do to expidite this process other than what I am right now?

Thanks...Eddie

Lettuce leaf nudibranchs only eat a specific type of algae -- bryopsis. So unless you have bryopsis, that dude won't do much good.

In a new tank, algae outbreaks are totally normal and pretty much unpreventable. There are some things you can do to get over it faster though. Cutting back on lighting is one of them. Also be sure you're doing regular water changes with good water (RODI, not tap). Try to keep your phosphates at 0 and nitrates as close to 0 as possible. Along with that, feed only frozen food, as pellets and flakes can lead to algae problems.

Invest in a good cleaner crew. For a 55 gallon tank, two Mexican turbo snails will be good.

Along with what Biff suggested,Pour that algaefix down the toilet and pick up a bottle of Marine S.A.T.
Its a live bacteria that will compete with the algae for the nutrients.Its safe for your tank(cant over-dose it).And your tank wont become dependent on it.

Biff, As usual you excell in knowledge about reef tanks. I will take heed in your suggestions, and that goes for all who replied. I do have 1 turbo snail and prolly half dozen blue legged hermits. I have been using god RO water and I am due for another change.

Hibye, not sure what a UV is. Something utraviolet I'm assuming.

Yote, I was wondering if the algafix accually worked. I will look into getting that Marine SAT and see how it goes. BTW, thats a very nice buck you got hanging there in your avatar.

Newbeemommy, if I am not mistaken I cant really have another crustatian in with the coral banded shrimp that I already have in there, from what I understand they can get fairly mean. However, I've had this one for about 3 weeks now and he hasnt bothered anything as of yet. He pretty much keeps to himself.

RyanG, I was also thinking about doing that but I didnt know if that would be the best thing for it.

Thanks again for everyones feedback. It seems like I do nothing but ask questions here but I dont know enough about this hobby to help anyone out yet. Someday maybe.:mrgreen:

The only dumb question is one that isnt asked my friend. We all have to start somewhere. It comes pretty quick.

You'll like the SAT.It'll actually drop the nitrates a little bit.Just use it untill the algae's gone.
The algaefix just kills the algae.It dont help remove the nutrients.

Back