Algae question

Shishimon

Reefing newb
I had a major algae bloom happen after 40 days of the tank up and running. I was told by a lfs employee that I trust to leave lights off for 7 days. I did a 30% water change today and turned on my lights today after 3 days of complete darkness. My water is clear, no more algae on rock( well a little green on a few) and sand bed is white with no diatoms. He said I should be fine to run my lights no more than 8 hours a day. I bought a timer and have the lights set for 8 hours. I believe that the bloom was caused by me running my lights to long. I want to go buy a clean up crew tonight. I am wondering if u guys would suggest leaving my lights off longer? And if not is it ok to add a clean up crew into a tank with the lights off. My lights are going to turn off at 6 I'll get the CC about 5 and I figure 2 hours to acclimate.

Do you have corals or anything else photosynthetic? If not, then you can run your lights even less. The clean up crew does not need lights -- they will be fine if you add them with a short light schedule. It is in fact better to add new livestock to the tank when the lights are off -- it reduces stress (especially for fish).

No not yet on corals or fish just water live rock and live sand. I may keep the lights on a 2 hour cycle for a week the increase to four then a week later 8 then maybe 10.

Back