algae question

thefreeviper

Im new and still learning
so i wish i could put a pic up, but i dont have a camera that could get a good enough pic of this to show. if anyone would like i can put it up but i promise it dont help lol. so i have my tank which is still cycling, for about a week in. got some live rock from the store. its been in there about a week. there is now a purple algae growing on it. i looked it up and it could be cyanobacteria or coralline however i cant see a difference in the pics online lol. i picked a piece of rock up and tried to rub it, it doesnt come off easy, i rub my nail on it and it will then come off with a little force not too much though. its like a redish purple color more purple than redish. so my question is is it the coralline or the cyanobacteria? or some other crap i dont want in there. and again ill load the pic if anyone wants but i promise it wont help lol. and no matter what it is, is it a good or bad thing to be in there? TY

More than likely coraline....cyano is slimy like snot. What you can expect is a diatom bloom. A normal part of new tanks. It looks like a tan algae on the sand. Just so you dont freak out when it shows up.lol

Last edited:
so let it stay right..... and is the diatom bad? sorry for some many questions i just like to make sure i dont go wrong lol

ok so i have a couple pics here. the first one with the purple is the main algae in question. i moved it to get a pic of it and when i did i found something else of question this one weird as well. and its pic 2 the brownish kinda fuzzy hairy kinda stuff. not sure what it is. heck if i took pics of it all i would be here a min. there all different kinda things going on in here. lol. but these 2 are the main ones im weirded about.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 226
ok so heres a couple more. sorry didnt think those were enough lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 234
ya i ended up throwin it in a baggie and went to visit my buddie about 45 mins away ( was going there anyways) and he told me i was good and showed me how to get the other crap off that i missed. TY though.

Back