Algae

you have something in your tank causing hair algae could be phosphate to high i would test it had same problem myself and is just now getting better but while adjusting water paremeters got about 80 different snails plus 60 hermit crabs for my 125 and they clean it all up. Plus others have told me to much flake food and different feeding style like what you feed or over feed can cause nitrate and phosphate to go high. Good luck i just got past that myself bud it sucks.

adding on to d. french's reply a small yellow tang will keep your rocks clean.You want to have caution with this fish though it will out grow your tank.I have one curently in my 29 gallon and it is the second one.The first was exchanged for this smaller yellow tang.I found astrea snails have worked the best also control of algae in my tank. I dont care for hermits.They are always picking off my snail population while looking for new homes.

Last edited:
great information already here.

I agree with minireefer about using a mixture of different types of snails and leaving the Hermits Crabs alone.

welcome to the site. well if you havent already please visit the helpful articles forum and on page one are several articles dealing with algae and the new system. you really need to find the cause of the algae outbreak and deal with cause for long term success. keep us posted. lots of good info already given.

I would stray away from any additives and use natural means to control the algea. Snails and algea consuming fish are the best bet to slow the algea down. Have you checked you water parameters lately and if so what are they? How new is your tank? Hair algea is typical of newer tanks and not so much in older, more established, ones. I hope this helps some.

sailfin said:
I would stray away from any additives and use natural means to control the algea. Snails and algea consuming fish are the best bet to slow the algea down. Have you checked you water parameters lately and if so what are they? How new is your tank? Hair algea is typical of newer tanks and not so much in older, more established, ones. I hope this helps some.
I agree to.Try to help the problem with natural algae eaters.Astro snails move fast and eat alot.

All good answers ,when I had algae problems I bought the phosban reactor and the phosban ,cleared all the algae in a week.

I agree with the natural remedy and the reactor if phosphate is the problem. nothing else to add at this point. identify the cause and work to resolve the cause, add natural algae eaters to deal with the current outbreak. Keep us posted.

Back