Algae?

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Ok Lately there has been this red I think algae growing on my rocks, Its not slimy its stuck on there so is it algae? Not sure what to think it is. Its not on the sand nor on the glass. Any ideas?
Rose

Its a bad algae,because it can get out of control pretty quick.
You get rid of it just like any other algae.Figure out whats feeding it(excess nutrients).Then you starve it out.

cyanobacteria.jpg

Cyano is a ugly, red slime that quickly spreads around your tank. Luckily, it is easy to cure. There are a few causes of cyano. First, it is common in young tanks. when the tank is around 5-10 months old, you can expect to see a bloom. keep your skimmer going and feed a bit less during this time, and it will disappear. Try to manually pick it away from your corals to prevent damage to them. If you have a established tank with cyano, overfeeding and excess phosphates are likely to blame. Phosphates and excess nutrients are directly to blame from overfeeding, but phosphates can enter your tank by using tapwater. Most peoples city tapwater contains phosphates and alot of nasty stuff that will feed algae. This is why reverse osmosis and distilled water use is recommended in saltwater aquariums. There are a variety of red slime removers on the market, but they only mask the problem, not get to the root cause, which is why they sometimes are frowned upon.

From your description,it sounds like red coralline algae.If it's not slimy and doesn't look like hair,I can't think what else it could be.

i have something on my rocks that fits that description, deep red, not slimy or hairy...i thought it was coraline or at least not bad... but im a newb.

Back