*@%$ Algae!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cms722

Reefing newb
So I've got what I think is green corraline algae growing in my tank. Its like a bright lime green color. But then I have all this brown stuff growing everywhere. Its not diatoms, I had those, and they went away when my tank was done cycling. But it looks like hair so I guess I should assume its hair algae? :frustrat: And there is this one single piece growing out of the sand that is green and really long. But its everywhere. It hasn't gotten long or anything, its all about a cm long if that, but it waves in the current of the water. How do I get rid of it? It makes my tank look dirty and it doesn't wanna go away with even doing water changes.

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out why no matter what I do, my chaeto doesn't want to grow in my tank. It just dies after being in there a while. WTF??

Reactions: BL1
Ok, so need some info from ya inorder to help out. Whats your phosphate reading? Are you using GFO or SeaChem or some sort of phosphate control? So you have snails or some algae eating crabs?
Invertebrates you can get that eat hair algae. Nerite snails, turbo snails and green emerald crabs are all well suited to the task.

I don't have anything to read phosphates with but I'm assuming seeing there is algae that there's phosphates lol. I have turbo snails and cerith snails in there. And a lawnmower blenny. He seems to eat whatever it is.

What are your nitrates at? How often/much are you feeding? And how many fish do you have?

Well it all depends on the readings as to how fast your algae will grow. So, are you saying its growing faster than the critters are eating it? I guess a picture would speak a thousand words at this point.

Need more critters than you already have, to keep up. Pull the long piece out of the sand. Tangs like algae. 55 Gallon could support a Scopus or Yellow Tang.

PC100020.JPG

Does it look like this?

Referred to as a microalgae, brown or golden algae is actually not an algae at all, but diatoms. What you are actually seeing in your tank are diatom skeletons, all linked together. It can appear as a simple dusting on the tank walls and substrate surfaces, or it can turn into a massive growth that covers just about everything in the tank. This type of algae outbreak typically occurs when a tank is just completing or has finished the nitrogen cycling process, new live rock is introduced, as the curing process can add nutrients when some organisms on the rock dies off, or tank maintenance has been neglected. It is a normal occurrence, as diatoms are one of the first to appear in the chain when the tank conditions are conducive for algae growth, and is usually a precursor to other forms of desirable and undesirable nuisance type green macroalgae. As you can see in our enlarged photos, the center area where the diatom algae first began growing is beginning to turn green.

What Makes Diatoms Grow and Solutions For Eliminating This Problem

We suggest that you don't try to put all of these solutions into action at one time, because if you do, when to problem subsides you'll never really know "exactly" where the problem was coming from and which solution worked to fix it. Start with one solution and see what results you get, and if that one doesn't work, try another one, and so on, until the problem is resolved. Now, i n order for all forms of algae to grow, they require only two things; light and nutrients.
  • Lighting: The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems.
    • Solutions: Only use bulbs that are designed for aquarium use, paying close attention to their spectral output; don't bombard the tank with an over abundance of light, follow the basic wattage rule of thumb; run the lights 8 to 9 hours a day.
  • Nutrients: Diatoms are most responsive to silca/silicates, but DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds), nitrates, and phosphates are food sources as well.
    • Silicates are most often introduced into aquariums by means of using unfiltered fresh tap water, the wrong kind of sand or substrate material, and through sea salt mixes that contain a higher than normal concentration of this element.
      • Solutions: Use RO/DI filtered make-up water, an aragonite type sand or substrate source, and a high quality sea salt mix.
    • Phosphates (PO4) are commonly introduced into aquariums by means of using unfiltered fresh tap water, and through many aquarium products that may contain higher than normal concentrations of this element, such as sea salt mixes, activated carbon, KH buffers, foods, and many other sources. Also, for established reef tanks the long-term use of Kalkwasser precipitates phosphates out of the water, and these phosphate based compounds can settle on and in the live rock and substrate.
      • Solutions: U se RO/DI filtered make-up water, a high quality sea salt mix, and be aware of the elements contained in other common aquarium products you may be using. For solutions to problems that can arise from using kalkwasser, refer to The Fishline's Microalgae article.

Need more critters than you already have, to keep up. Pull the long piece out of the sand. Tangs like algae. 55 Gallon could support a Scopus or Yellow Tang.
I know I need more of a clean up crew. Was waiting til my fiance got paid to get some more rock and CuC. And that's awesome to know that I can have a tang in that tank cuz I've been wanting a yellow tang :mrgreen:

PC100020.JPG

Does it look like this?
Thats waaaay more hairy than what it looks like. None of it has gotten that long the whole time its been in there. I'll take a pic in a sec and post it.

What are your nitrates at? How often/much are you feeding? And how many fish do you have?
All the readings are zero. Have been consistently since the cycle ended. I only have two fish in there. The lawnmower blenny and a maroon clown. Also two sexy shrimp, some turbos, ceriths, and a purple serpent sea star. I feed frozen shrimp every 2 days or so.

55 gallon CANNOT support any tangs. It can do it for a short time with a yellow tang, but after that it would quickly die.

Unfortunately they need more swimming space than that.

I would suggest you get some test kits, test your water thoughroughly for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphates and show us what it is at. I would also think you should do some water changes. This could also be a part of your tank cycling. Im not talking about the first cycle, but im talking about the algae cycle a new tank goes through. Different bad algae will pop and disappear as the tank begins to set itself into a stable routine.

55 gallon cannot support any tangs. It can do it for a short time with a yellow tang, but after that it would quickly die.

Unfortunately they need more swimming space than that.

I would suggest you get some test kits, test your water thoughroughly for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphates and show us what it is at. I would also think you should do some water changes. This could also be a part of your tank cycling. Im not talking about the first cycle, but im talking about the algae cycle a new tank goes through. Different bad algae will pop and disappear as the tank begins to set itself into a stable routine.
55 GALLON CAN SUPPORT A SCOPUS OR A YELLOW! They do not have the swimming behaviors of most other Tangs. Thanks You! And neither would die shortly after. Your reading habits are terrible. Try adding experience to your portfolio.

Last edited:
Names
Common Name: Scopas Tang
Other Names: Brown Tang, Brown Surgeonfish, Brown Scopas Tang
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma scopas
Minimum Tank Size: 30

If you've ever owned one, you know these guys take forever to grow.

Common Name: Yellow Tang
Other Names: Yellow Sailfin Tang, Yellow Surgeonfish, Yellow Hawaiian Tang
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang - They have a oval bright yellow body. It may by aggressive towards its own species but iotherwise a good inhabitant.
Minimum Tank Size: 50

Last edited:
Im with Josh on this one. A 55 is too small for any tang long term. I personally would feel bad about keeping one in there for longer than a few days.

And i dont see yellows or scopus having different swimming patterns from any other tang. The tend to swim the length of the tank all day long, stopping to munch here or there.

Plus you should be addressing why you have algae in the first place, not covering it up. I also suggest that you remove as much as you can by hand when you do your water changes.

Names
Common Name: Scopas Tang
Other Names: Brown Tang, Brown Surgeonfish, Brown Scopas Tang
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma scopas
Minimum Tank Size: 30"
If you've ever owned one, you know these guys take forever to grow.
Common Name: Yellow Tang
Other Names: Yellow Sailfin Tang, Yellow Surgeonfish, Yellow Hawaiian Tang
Scientific Name: Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang - They have a oval bright yellow body. It may by aggressive towards its own species but iotherwise a good inhabitant.
Minimum Tank Size: 50

You should post your references:

Scopas tangs can grow to 12" long and there's no way would be ok in a 55.

Minimum Tank Size:125 gallons
Care Level
: Moderate
Temperament
:Peaceful
Reef Compatible:Yes
Water Conditions
:72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 1'
Color Form
: Tan, Yellow
Diet
:Herbivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin
:Fiji, Indo-Pacific
Family: Acanthuridae
Scopas Tang

Minimum Tank Size:100 gallons
Care Level
:Easy
Temperament:Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible
:Yes
Water Conditions
: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 8"
Color Form: Yellow
Diet: Herbivore
Compatibility
:View Chart
Origin:Hawaii
Family:Acanthuridae
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

Last edited:
You should post your references:

Scopas tangs can grow to 12" long

Hell, I'll throw you a bone here BL. And just how long do you think it would take this Scopus to reach 12"?? If i've had mine for 8 years and feed 2 times per day.

......I've a Scopus for 8 years...... And he's only 5". Yellows are the same and they do not get to 12".

Yep, and last I checked you had nitrates at 200 for a long time, there have been studies that have attributed stunted growth to poor water quality.

................Current tank was set up this past OCTOBER...................... And why would I post references? So we can go back and forth over what site to use and which one not to? No thanks.
the Scopus was in a 125g with CORALS before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back