*@%$ Algae!

Status
Not open for further replies.
75 is as small as I would go for yellows and small bristletooths.

And the 4' long is not the only thing that matters. A 75 is 6" wider than a 55 and that makes a world of a difference.

why would I post references? So we can go back and forth over what site to use and which one not to? No thanks.
the Scopus was in a 125g with CORALS before that.

That is EXACTLY why you should post references. Some sites are horrible about what they recommend...so are some users.

AS for the OPs question, its very common to get hair algae in a new system. Thats when you know that you're cycled.

Question, what are you using for lights over your chaeto?

Also, its common knowledge that the only good way to test test for phospates is with a photometer. The test kits don't give an accurate reading.

Glad to see the superstitious tendencies of this site haven't changed much >_<!
lol.

And way to take this thread off on a tangent... Another case for the tang police!

=P

Last edited:
You kept that fish happy and healthy in a tank 3 times the size of tank we are talking about in here, which is great, that fish was in a properly sized tank, but i cant see that same fish doing well for that long in a tank 1/3 the size you have experience dealing with.

Do you know why there are "tang police"? Because people house these creature is FAR too small of a space. And I can already hear you counter claim about "the ocean" but we all know that certain fish are and are not acceptable for certain sized tanks.

As for this site being "superstitious" go ask any knowledgeable person on this hobby and you will get the same response.

its funny you posted an algae problem and got whacked in type for considering tangs. The algae you have is easy to beat, simple, it could be gone by Monday, see the peroxide thread I just started. Im not misleading you, been in the game a decade I don't mislead people, it just sounds too good to be true, so thats why I started the thread.

How about you wipe out the algae and not introduce a lot of grazers to your tank that will just let you down or make people mad...well I take that back they'll get mad at peroxide use because its unfamiliar to them but if you want it gone, try it my way, if it does't work post back up here and let me know in public, that's putting alot on the line.

But it will work, and you'll love it, so run some spot treatments outside the tank of your worst frags and that growth will fall off by 10 pm tonite.

what you are doing is burning the growth off so you can start clean with the methods mentioned above like testing and water changes. its the best algae cheat ever discovered, or you can proceed as normal with all the arguing and nothing specific that is guaranteed to work
B

You arent going to get flamed for the peroxide method because it does work. But make sure you thoroughly research this method first, and understand exactly what you are doing because it can go horribly wrong. I would also not do this if you cannot isolate your corals while you do this, it can kill them. Here is a good link about this:

Well, h2o2ello there....

Woooow guys lol I got off here last night and come back and were having a battle of the tangs hehe. I don't have a yellow tang. I wanted one so it was nice to hear someone say that it was ok. But I don't want to do it if it will hurt the fish. As for the algae problem. I have test kits. All paramaters, ammonia nitrites nitrates, are zero. pH is 8.5. sg is 1.025. The lights over the chaeto are just a regular spiral bulb thing per some advice on this site. And I'm going to have to look into the peroxide thing. I don't have any corals right now. Just rock and some critters. But I do have a rock wall in the back that has the algae on it that I can't just take out of the tank. The algae isn't bad at all. There's just enough of it to make the tank look constantly dirty and I want to get rid of it.

I would put in the Yellow, personally. Thats my personal experience. If not, you might want to grab a phosphate test kit. And then possibly GFO or SeaChem. The yellow tang is going to take a long time to grow and he's not going to get to 12", no matter what you read in this thread.

And right on the video it says Manufacturer's Video. Obviously DFS/LA did not make that promo video. If you want to keep acting like a douche because people don't agree with your opinion, take it to a different site. Try RC I'm sure you'll last real long there.

Don't get so offended because he said that a tang can go in a 55 gallon. Maybe it's a bit off but that doesn't mean he's acting like a douche...

Also, its common knowledge that the only good way to test test for phospates is with a photometer. The test kits don't give an accurate reading.

I'll quote myself to reiterate my point. Then I'll say it again bluntly;

Phosphate testing kits DO NOT give you an accurate reading of the PO4 in your system. They are an utter waste of money. Find someone or a LFS with photometer and test it that way.

And right on the video it says Manufacturer's Video. Obviously DFS/LA did not make that promo video. If you want to keep acting like a douche because people don't agree with your opinion, take it to a different site. Try RC I'm sure you'll last real long there.
WOW. A MOD flipping out. Now we resort to name calling. Really?? You have got to be kidding me.:shock: You should try RC, your stuck up can't do any wrong know it all BS would fit right in there my man. And judging by your Experience, and your tank size, you are giving advice on fish you can't keep, and have no idea how to maintain them other than what you have read on the Internet! I on the other hand, Have had a 125 gallon and a 240 gallon, and can keep or have kept numerous fish in my 12 years!! And know 1`st hand how to care for and feed them, and HOW BIG THEY GET!!! Don't you even dare to start the name calling. you got your little Clique here, and I am here to upset it!

I'll quote myself to reiterate my point. Then I'll say it again bluntly;

Phosphate testing kits DO NOT give you an accurate reading of the PO4 in your system. They are an utter waste of money. Find someone or a LFS with photometer and test it that way.
Don't they get it within a certain acceptable +- range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back