algea bloom????

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
ok so i think i am having an algea bloom, the tank is cloudy as hell and when you really look at it it has a green hue to it

im also getting green algea on my glass and overflow risers...well on everything

should i just ride it out, or is there something i should do????

tank is in its fourth week if it means anything

Have you been doing water changes? If so how often/how much and what kind of water are you using? Doing a 10 to 20% water change weekly will help a lot, and if your water is greenish, you can up that to twice a week for the time being.

Algae blooms are really common in new tanks, they're pretty much unavoidable, but you can fix them.

i just did my first water change this past saturday
20%
im using RODI water

other factors are i just added my first 4 fish
green chromis they are small 3/4" each

i dont know if this is a contributing factor since they havnt quite caught on to eating the pellets the LFS sold me and it seems like 3/4 of the food ends up on the bottom of my tank

Pellets will be a big problem that contributes to algae. Pellet and flake foods contain ash as a preservative, which will lead to algae problems. You should feed only frozen foods. Not to mention, fish seem to love frozen foods much more than flakes or pellets.

Also, adding 4 fish at once is a big influx of waste, so that will definitely add to the algae problem. In the future, add only one at a time so that your bioload can catch up. Or a pair, if it's a necessity (like a pair of clowns).

so should i still do a water change?

i just went into the garage and got 16 gallons mixed up and it will be ready tomorrow

also when i do a water change should i automatically add buffers when i do it?

what frozen food do you recomend for green chromis?

Check your alkalinity, pH and calcium before adding any buffers. If all your parameters are okay, you don't need to add anything. Adding anything without measuring it first and seeing a need for it will do more harm than good. It's very easy to overdose.

I'd still do a water change.

Chromis will eat anything. A mix of foods is good. I recommend mysis shrimp, marine cuisine, emerald entree and krill. You can find frozen food at any LFS, Petco or Petsmart. They'll find it much more tasty than pellets.

biff

i went to the LFS today and got the frozen food you suggested
its in small cubes

do i thaw it first then break the cube up and put it in the water???

I take a little cup of tank water, put a cube in it and let the cube melt before feeding. You can also buy a little plastic strainer from the grocery store and strain the food before you add it to your tank (throw the liquid out). Unless you have a lot of corals and filter feeders, the liquid will just add nutrients to your tank.

thanks biff

my fish went crazy for the frozen food

and no cloudiness afterward

i also noticed that the hermits get a little crazy when they smell it too

might want to try adding some extra flow, another powerhead. Limit you light too. Keep in mind that adding live rock can cause algea to bloom a bit until it starts growing coralline... at least that's something I've noticed in my tank.

the white on my rocks has finally started to go away and i have some awesome red and purple coraline coming thru, im excited about it

my wife doesnt seem as excited

Back